Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 03-07-2006 , 11:31 AM
Subscriber

Jedi Fighter Bump/Texture Map distortion

Gotta bump issue guys,

Using a low polygon mesh I created a UV Snapshot and used it in Photoshop to create the Texture & Bump maps.

When I converted the mesh (Modify>Convert>Polygons to Subdiv)......the Bump Map and Texture Map are totally distorted.

Can anyone advise on how in the world do I fix this? :mg:

view reference

Confused
Fess

Trini For Life
# 2 03-07-2006 , 12:24 PM
Senior Software Developer
Fess,

You have created the UV mapping on Low polys. Converting the geometry from from poly to SubD has chnaged to layout of the UV's therefore changing the mapping and the look of the model.

There is a way to keep the UV mappping assigned to thr Polygon Mesh, when you convert it but as I am at work, I cant 100% advise as I dont have Maya to hand user added image.

Check out the Help file in Maya I am sure there is info on this in there.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 3 04-07-2006 , 01:32 AM
Subscriber
R@nSiD,

Thanks for responding

I currently can find anything that references assigning the UV map to poly when converting via help files.

I'll keep looking......

Regards
Fess

Trini For Life
# 4 04-07-2006 , 06:40 AM
Subscriber
i have read when you convert or put a smooth on it
make sure that keep border edges is on or something like that
that is what k brown said in the apache tutorial
keep border edges on

------------------- WIP ------------------

--------------- Finished Work -------------
Apache Helicopter
Armoured Personal Unit
Apache Finished
Ferrari 360
Mech
# 5 09-07-2006 , 09:15 PM
Subscriber

You have created the UV mapping on Low polys. Converting the geometry from from poly to SubD has chnaged to layout of the UV's therefore changing the mapping and the look of the model.

Chis, since you're a "Lead" modeller, you must be fairly knowledgable on my current problem. :shakehead

Your quoted statement suggest my workflow is incorrect.

After you complete a model, how do you go about "Bump" mapping it/rendering it?

Curious
Fess

Trini For Life
# 6 10-07-2006 , 12:00 AM
Once you have completed the model, the normal way to go is to Texture. Some studios will require the modelers to carry this out.

The easiest way to get your bump map correct is to do a UV Layout at the low polystage this gives you the layout of the model in a flat 2D format ready to be added to/edited on Photoshop or other 2D paint package (layer support).

I think the best way to deal with the conversion is to Convert Poly to SubD with the Proxy Object selected or do a proxy smooth. Therefore you can work on the proxy and apply the bump on that instead of the smoothed or converted SubD geometry.

Hope this helps.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
# 7 14-07-2006 , 03:30 PM
Subscriber
R@nSiD user added image

Thanks for the workflow tip. I also discovered the Approximation Editor SubDiv Approx. which gave good results.

Any input on removing jaggies (stair stepping on diagonal lines) from bump mapping on a per object basis?

I make bumps in Photoshop & usually apply a 0.5 gaussian blur to the diagonals to soften the stair stepping. But its still visible usually.

Approximation Editor>Displace Approx. is for displacement maps only or is it useful for bumps?

I could crank up the anti-aliasing but this burdens render speed even on fast machines.

What about per object?

Curious
Fess

Trini For Life
# 8 14-07-2006 , 03:56 PM
Fess,

Glad I could have helped...

I take it from the word "jaggies", you mean the stepping that appears on edges on non scalable graphics (can't remember the proper name)? My tip would be to go back to the source (Photoshop), look at the image size of the bump map (512x512 or whatever).

If this is the case and the resolution is small, under 1024ish, then best way to proceed is with re doing the Texture Creation and work off of as high a resolution as possible for both color mapping and bump mapping and TV work will be ok with 2048+ texture sizes, however games would need to be resized to 512 or below (dependant on the engine really).

You may want to look at displacement maps as an option too.

Let me know how it goes.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
# 9 15-07-2006 , 05:48 PM
Subscriber
I was drawing the bump maps at about 1 pixel (line tool) in width on a 2024 map.

As I always draw the bumps using vector paths via Photoshop, I was able to scale the map to 5024 with out pixilation, thus giving me the desired sharpness on the bumps.

I'll try displacements on my next model user added image

Thanks
Fess

Trini For Life
# 10 16-07-2006 , 05:07 PM
Very good.