Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 31-07-2006 , 04:30 PM

Influence Object problem

Hi,
I'm new to the forums and to Maya and am currently modeling a human-like character (low detail) for animation (to export and use in another program). I've modeled and rigged the character, and am trying to add influence objects to avoid ugly joint bending. However when I do add the object (small sphere, right near the joint) and try to bend the joint (using an IK handle) to which it's meant to affect, I get a weird deformation (see image). I'm suspecting that this is because of the joint being outside the mesh, but would like to double check before I re-rig the entire thing. Thanks!

user added image

# 2 31-07-2006 , 06:43 PM

pherhapes wrong bind?

1. open "Skin" -> "Bind Skin" (option box) and try to change settings...

2. my guess is that the join at the elbow is not at the correct position... so that the skelleton at this point isn´t bind with the model

# 3 31-07-2006 , 07:37 PM
After repositioning all the relevant joints to be inside the model, I tried playing around with the "max influences" setting, which changed the amount of distortion, but did not end it. I'm certain that the elbow joint is properly bound, as I can pose the model without trouble before adding the influence object. It's not that important to my project, just bugs me to see those squashed elbows.
It now looks like this (max influences set to 3):
user added image

# 4 31-07-2006 , 08:19 PM
what steps do you take to add the influence object?

Accept no substitutions.
# 5 31-07-2006 , 08:29 PM
I followed the steps in the help file tutorial. So I select the mesh, shift select the sphere (after scaling it and moving it into position), and then Skin -> Edit Smooth Skin -> Add Influence . This is in the bind pose. I then parent both the original sphere and the influence base under the shoulder joint.

# 6 31-07-2006 , 09:12 PM
well i just played around a little and found that i get a similar odd deformation if i add the ik handle BEFORE adding the influence object, but get no odd deformation if i add the ik handle AFTER adding the influence object... so try that.

Accept no substitutions.