Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 21-08-2006 , 03:55 PM

glow effect rendering problem

K i wanted to create some particles/objects that has glow effects and render it seperately to use it and overlap it over another video through alpha channels.

So i made a cube and gave it a 1 glow effect intensity and render it as a .mov format file with the default black background along with a little rotating animation.

When I over layer this animated-rotating cube over another video for test, it works fines, but the glow effect (that is suppose to show outside of the cube) will not show outside of the cube, only within the cube.

So I'm wondering if it is possible to make the glow effect show outside of the object/particles and have it's own transparency through alpha channels when you composite or over layer it over another video. So you can still see the background video along with the glow effect transparency showing outside of the object/particle as well....If so, how can I do it?

thanks

9 months into Maya...and still learning...
0 experience with any other 3D programs

Last edited by blackstrings; 21-08-2006 at 04:00 PM.
# 2 22-08-2006 , 04:41 AM
I don't fully understand what you need to achieve. Can you post a pic of what you have so far? And are you rendering your particles as a .mov? you should be rendering to tiff or tga for proper alpha channels.

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 23-08-2006 , 09:19 PM
Oh thx, i keep that in mind, tiff and tga for particles got it...

but here's an example of what i mean, where the glow effect didn't work the way I wanted it to. I uploaded it in youtube

go here "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwRfmQwHUjM"

Notice, that At the bottom right is a little rotating Icon thingy that was suppose to glow, but the glow doesn't show, the glow can only be seen within the cube. Out side and aruond the cube is suppose to be a red glowing effect, but Outside of the cube the glow isn't showing or somehow is being cut off.

So i was wondering how I could go about to fix it so that the glow outside the cube can be seen and at the same time have a lilttle transparency in it. (cause glowing lights do have a little transparency)

So is it possible to render particles/objects with glow effects and have the glow be transparent even when it is being overlay ontop another video another video?

So i was wondering how I could go about to render something like that.

thank you

# 4 23-08-2006 , 10:52 PM
no, tiff and tga for everything user added image

If you want transparency in your glow then just make sure it has the transparency when you render it. Look at the alpha channel it should be white where it's opaque and black where it's transparent. So the glow should be tones of grey.

In order to get the glow around the cube you just need to make sure that the image you render is laid on top of the other one. It's as simple as that. What are you using to put it together?

user added image
A

IMDB
# 5 24-08-2006 , 07:20 AM
I'm using final cut pro, but I also have affter effect too, which one would be better?

# 6 24-08-2006 , 08:07 PM
after effects
user added image
A

IMDB