SimplyMaya Forums

Welcome to the forum, feel free to ask questions here.

Home / forum / Lounges / Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge / Help on a couple of topics!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

New Thread

Old 23-08-2006, 11:48 PM   #1
Naja

Default Help on a couple of topics!

Ok, I'm not really sure where to post this as I have two, sort of different questions, so I'll post it here.

1. My first problem is this: When I go to render settings (to choose what to render with), I only get a choice of Maya Software and Maya Hardware, no Mental Ray!

The strange thing is that a month or two ago, this problem didn't exist, does anyone know how I turned the other rendering options off (and more importantly, how to get them back!)

2. Secondly, I've been trying to render scenes with multiple particle types in maya Software for a while, and many of the particles never showed up! I had a look on the net and found that some of the particles need to be rendered separately in Maya Hardware, and I have no problem with that.

However, the tutorials then say I need 'compositing software'. What is compositing software and what software packages include a compositing function?

Thanks a heap!
Naja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2006, 12:10 AM   #2
NeoStrider

ok first easy question is, what version of maya do you have?
Old 24-08-2006, 01:00 AM   #3
gster123

for the first one open your plug in manager and enable mtrtomya (or something along those lines) As your preference file might be playing up therefore not starting Mental Ray on start up.

Second one Compositing software takes the sepperate images and combines tham to create one image.

You can use say photoshop to do single frames (or GIMP thats free) or something like after effects for image sequences.

cheers
gster123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2006, 09:21 AM   #4
Naja

Ok, firstly, I'm running Maya version 7.0.

So AfterEffects will do it...good! Thanks for the solutions, I'll try them today and get back to you.
Old 27-08-2006, 04:41 AM   #5
Naja

Quote:
Originally posted by gster123
for the first one open your plug in manager and enable mtrtomya (or something along those lines) As your preference file might be playing up therefore not starting Mental Ray on start up.
Fabulous! It worked...thankyou. (I know this is a couple of days late).
New Thread