Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 29-09-2006 , 03:59 AM

Render layers

OK, you know how with render layers you can assign a material override to the whole layer, or just to an individuaobject? Well how do you remove an override from an object? I looked in the docs, but can find nothing? I tried deleting some links from the hypergraph, but that wreaked havoc.

Anyone?

Thanks.

# 2 29-09-2006 , 10:43 AM
well if you're trying to do it for an individual object, i'm not sure, but you can right click on the render layer itself and the option 'remove material override' will be there...

but i'm pretty sure it's for the whole layer

Accept no substitutions.

Last edited by NeoStrider; 29-09-2006 at 11:53 AM.
# 3 29-09-2006 , 10:18 PM
Thanks Neo, but that is for removing shader overrides that are applied to the whole layer and didn't have any effect on my objects. Thanks for trying though.

Anyone else?

# 4 30-09-2006 , 02:57 AM
while trying to solve the problem at hand, i couldn't help but wonder... how did you actually override the materials on the object level to begin with?

Accept no substitutions.
# 5 30-09-2006 , 03:02 AM
If you assign a shader to an object while you're in a render layer, it assigned it only for that layer.