Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 07-11-2006 , 04:34 PM

Curve => Cube

Is it possible to convert a curve into a cube, when the curve represents the border?

Greetings Brecht

# 2 09-11-2006 , 12:51 PM
Subscriber
I could be wrong, but I don't believe that a single, unbroken curve can define the outline of a curve without doubling back on itself.

Next, any surface must be defined by several curves, and not just one. You could chop the curve up into seperate pieces and then create six planes from that, but I fail to see the difference between that solution and a nurbs cube primitive.

I'm guessing that you'd like to create a cube that is covered by a single surface, and not the six stitched together as is the case with the cube primitive.??

If so, then I guess you could just make a nurbs sphere and tweak that into the shape of a cube. It'll just need some playing around to get the cv's into a position that gives you nice edges and nice corners at the same time.

Whatcha making?

# 3 09-11-2006 , 07:34 PM
Senior Software Developer
This question has come up a few times in the forums, really why would you want to create a cube with nurbs, the workflow for this will be overly long and complex for such a simple shape.

Use the polygon primitive...

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 4 14-11-2006 , 06:31 PM
I want to make a POLYGONAL cube from a curve because my extrude face *$%รน isn't working. It gives bad results

# 5 14-11-2006 , 06:39 PM
Install the bonus tools for Maya 8 and it fixes that issue...

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
# 6 14-11-2006 , 07:11 PM
Where can I download these bonus tools for maya 7.0?

# 7 14-11-2006 , 07:25 PM

# 8 14-11-2006 , 09:29 PM
ensure the option keep faces together is ticked...

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
# 9 15-11-2006 , 09:18 AM
The problem still isn't fixed with that, I think it's the smoothing angle that causes this problem because when I lower it to 0 I don't get this anymore, I can go to say up to 15 (my default was 30) but when I do this (lower it to 0 - 15) I get an other problem:
https://img292.imageshack.us/img292/7139/bigprobas7.png

Thanks

Brecht

# 10 15-11-2006 , 09:28 AM
When I create a Cylinder with say 20 subdivisions, it doesn't matter how many because my extrusion will have 12, always 12. Maybe that helps to your guys search for the solution to my problem.

Greetings Brecht

Edit: I was a little wrong about this:
When I create a 12 subdivision cylinder and then use extrude face the extrusion comes nice together with the lines of the unextruded part =p. When I create a 20 subdivision cylinder there are more subdivision in the extruded part, but I don't know what's wrong, I guess less subdivions or something like that, anyhow, you guys are the pro ones.

Last edited by brecht; 15-11-2006 at 09:40 AM.