Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 17-11-2006 , 02:18 PM

Bridge problem

Hi, i'm a newbie user added image

I'm doing the second tuturial of Maya 8.0 unlimited where I have to make a helmet. All went well till I had to fill the gap between the back and front of the helmet... I know how to connect the two part together, but the program is connecting it the wrong way (in a twist)!

user added image

The red lines show the way it should be connected. The black lines show how the are connected now...

user added image

I think its a setting, but I think I've tried everything...

user added image

Anyone has the solution to this problem??

Thanks in advance user added image

# 2 17-11-2006 , 02:59 PM
Subscriber
i dont have maya 8 so... heres what i would do

extrude the edges
of one of them

then vert snap the verts to the corrispondong verts
combine
and merge verts

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 3 17-11-2006 , 03:28 PM
Are you selecting both objects, and then just clicking 'Merge Vertices'? The settings may be off, causing the verts to have to merge with the wrong vert on the other object.

Also, did you make sure the normals on both objects were facing in the same direction?

If so, and it still doesn't work, pbman's suggestion should work just fine.

Eric Tacti
3D Artist
# 4 17-11-2006 , 04:23 PM
Just thought, could this be the same problem as in nurbs you loft two surfaces and they go off as the CV numbers are not in line?

Check the normals of the objects as they night be opposite, if they are reverse the one thats facing inwards and then try the tool, might work but alsa im still on maya 6.0 (come on uni with my upgrade LOL)

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 17-11-2006 , 05:21 PM

Originally posted by gster123
Just thought, could this be the same problem as in nurbs you loft two surfaces and they go off as the CV numbers are not in line?

Check the normals of the objects as they night be opposite, if they are reverse the one thats facing inwards and then try the tool, might work but alsa im still on maya 6.0 (come on uni with my upgrade LOL)

Yeah ... reversing the normals ... that worked! :attn:

user added image

Thanks for your help all! user added image

# 6 17-11-2006 , 05:34 PM
Yeah, I thought that was most likely the problem. Glad to hear it worked out for you!

Eric Tacti
3D Artist