Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 28-11-2006 , 07:20 PM

Triple core

Hi all,
I´ve got a question about processors. My PC has a AMD Opteron dual-core (2x1.8 ghz). I want to upgrade my PC and buy a single-core processor so I´ll have a dual core and a single core. I would like to know if Maya is able to rum faster with this. Or wont it use the third processor-core?
Thanks for all responses :--)

Hä?
# 2 28-11-2006 , 07:21 PM
if you're talking about a dual-processor motherboard, the processors have to be exactly the same. you can't use a dual-core and a single-core processor in the same computer.

Accept no substitutions.
# 3 28-11-2006 , 07:26 PM
Thanks for the response.
But why cant I use a single-core an a dual-core Processoer in one PC?
And: would Maya be able to run with two dual-core processors (processors are the same) ?

Hä?
# 4 28-11-2006 , 08:00 PM
you can't use a single and a dual together because motherboard manufacturers make it work that way. maya can work with dual processors, but you need to make sure that you have a dual-processor motherboard first... and from what i've seen, they don't make them for dual-core processors yet... (or i'd have had my hands on one... i've got an eye out for them user added image)

Accept no substitutions.
# 5 28-11-2006 , 08:29 PM

Originally posted by NeoStrider
you can't use a single and a dual together because motherboard manufacturers make it work that way. maya can work with dual processors, but you need to make sure that you have a dual-processor motherboard first... and from what i've seen, they don't make them for dual-core processors yet... (or i'd have had my hands on one... i've got an eye out for them user added image)

They do have dual processor, dual core boards, they've been about for a bit e.g Dual Opteron dual core boards for one (check Boxx out for PC's equiped with them.

They now have the new Dual Xeon dual coire boards available running hte new Inter core 2 duo chips, they should be fast! (Supermicro X7DAE reviewed in 3D world)

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 6 28-11-2006 , 09:32 PM
wow nice thanks gster user added image

Accept no substitutions.
# 7 29-11-2006 , 06:16 PM
Sounds nice (but also expensive) :--)
But in general, do you think Maya will support or would be able to use more than 2 cores (no matter if they are 2 dual cores or 3 single cores) ?

By the way, thanks for the responses!

Hä?
# 8 01-12-2006 , 07:30 AM
Yep it can, for example if you go into batch render options you get the option to render using all available processors...

I dont know where you get the idea of a 3 processor board/PC, they generally go in multiples of 2, for example 1, 2,4,8,16 so that it keeps in registration with the binary notation.

# 9 01-12-2006 , 10:08 AM
Hmm, I think someone here has an Xbox 360, which uses a tri core PowerPC derived processor made by IBM. How they can have a tri core processor is a mystery to me as the number of cores usually have to be even numbers.

As for the stuff regarding the binary notation, SMP systems can have cpus in increments of even numbers. They do not have to be 2, 4, 8 and 16. The Sun Enterprise 4500 server has 14 cpus.

# 10 01-12-2006 , 03:00 PM
Yeah man, for got about that.

Yeah a tripple core seems a bit strange to me as your going to have one core etiher behind or in front by half a clock cycle. Wouldent you?

# 11 03-12-2006 , 03:24 AM
I think that third core is probaly unrelated to the other cores but since I know nothing about the Xbox 360 I could be wrong.

# 12 08-12-2006 , 08:06 AM

Originally posted by gster123
Yeah man, for got about that.

Yeah a tripple core seems a bit strange to me as your going to have one core etiher behind or in front by half a clock cycle. Wouldent you?

Well, i´ve bought myself the new Flight simulator X (FSX). But the FSX doesn´t have a dual-core support ( or it only has one if you buy Windows Vista for about 300€) and so i´ve thought myself: Well, I need a strong single-core processor for the FSX and it would be great if Maya would also support that ... :---)

Hä?
# 13 08-12-2006 , 08:25 AM
Peppomanien > 'Well, I need a strong single-core processor for the FSX and it would be great if Maya would also support that ...'

I'm afraid I don't quite get what you mean by that...

# 14 08-12-2006 , 10:10 AM
Well, maybe I´ve expressed this in a strange way...

I wanted to say that there are two reasons that influence my decision of buying wich kind of processor:
1. The FSX and
2. The compatibility to Maya
Because I will need a strong single-core processor for the FSX, I would like to buy a single-core. But I won´t pay a lot of money for a new processor if I won´t have some more avantages from it (meaning: I´m not going to buy a processor just for the FSX). I also would like to know if Maya is possible to support a dual-core and a single-core processor.

I hope I´ve expressed myself now more clearly :--)

Hä?
# 15 08-12-2006 , 10:47 AM
Yes Maya does support dual core processors