Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 13-12-2006 , 01:41 PM
Subscriber

orthographic viewports not displaying mapped images

Hi All,

I'm attempting my first project with Maya [I've been a native Lightwave user for the last 5 or 6 years] and I'm having issues with getting my image planes to display properly in the orthographic viewports [top, front and side]. The image planes display correctly in the perspective view.

I've tried both Maya 6 and Maya 7PLE and am getting similar problems in both [although PLE7 sometimes replaces the watermark in the viewport with the image i've loaded for the image plane, as well as not showing up on the geometry either].

I have an idea that it may be my hamster driven graphics card [it's an nVidia GeForce4 MX 440 - GASP!] but as I'm not technical guru this is only a guess!

Can anyone please confirm that it is my snotty graphics card or otherwise shed some light on the real cause of the problem?

Cheers! priimate.

PS I've ruled out Gremlins and Leprechauns!

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 13-12-2006 , 04:52 PM
hey priimate - good to see you on simply maya!

yeah, I'm no technical guru either, but I think you may be right - it sounds like a graphics card issue. You might also want to try putting your cursor in the orthographic view and pressing 6 just to make sure show textures is on.

Looking forward to seeing some of your maya works! user added image

# 3 13-12-2006 , 05:05 PM
I came across a similar problem with this on my TNT2 (shocking I know) along with some graphics corruption and incositencies in shaded mode and thought it was my dodgy card. So I upgrade to a more modern Radeon and while its much faster, it has the same problems. So I'm suspecting its the drivers, though I doubt Nvidia still updates them for the Geforce4.

# 4 14-12-2006 , 06:02 AM
Subscriber
Hey cheers arran! Yep I have to learn enough Maya to teach über noobies the basics by mid February or I'm out of a job! [the school I teach at has been teaching Lightwave for about 8 years and has now switched to Maya].

Yep! Definately had "6" pressed in all views! I did reformat my system about a month ago and did have an newer driver that I haven't reinstalled so I think The Architect may have hit the nail on the head! I'll see if that fixes it!

On the upside, i'm upgrading to a new system with one of the new Intel Quad-cores - i'm just waiting for my retailer to get the chips in [should have been in 2 weeks ago!]

Cheers! priimate.

# 5 15-12-2006 , 03:06 AM
Subscriber
Hi Guys!

Yep! The newer driver fixed the problem!

Cheers! priimate.

Attached Thumbnails