Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 30-03-2007 , 12:00 PM

performance issue

hey i need to know how to maximize my performance when in the perspective view, i have 2 processors both 3 ghz and 1.5 gig of ram and i want to know how to configure maya so that maya would use a lot of the ram in the perspective view, because when i convert a paint effect tree to polygons and press play so that i would see it move in the wind it slows down. i have a radeon x1300

radeon x1300 which is 512 ram but 128 bit.

how to configure maya so that maya would use a lot of the ram in the perspective view

# 2 31-03-2007 , 02:46 AM
I don't think that the perspective view has much to do with performance when it comes to animating a tree with dynamics becuase most of your memory and processing power is going to be used in the calculation of all the component's positions in the next frame based on factors such as wind strength and stuff.

Anyways, if your tree is very complicated and has millions of polygons, then your system may not be able to handle the task effectively anyway regardless of how much memory you dedicate to the task or how much you optimise your system.

the_art_of_maya > 'i have 2 processors both 3 ghz and 1.5 gig of ram'

What kind of cpus are they and what memory are you using?

the_art_of_maya > 'i want to know how to configure maya so that maya would use a lot of the ram in the perspective view'

I not sure about this 100% but I don't think Maya can do that. Programs usually sort out how much memory they need by themselves. Anyways, you can dedicate more cpu time to Maya by going into your system settings and sliding the slider bar away from background apps although that may most likely crash your computer (I tried it once on mine).