Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 15-04-2007 , 04:57 AM
Subscriber

image plans

I have decided to do something again, well to put here again but immediately I have a problem. The tut has the image plans imported ; from the view menu/image plans/import image plan.

well thats no problem but the tuts have the grid showing in the side, front views but my views have the images in front of the grid (cant see grid). I cant put transparency on the image because there is no shader attached to the image plan.., i know this is easy but I cant remember what to do.., any help?

cheers user added image

as you can see ive come a long way user added image

Attached Images

take it easy and life will be easy
# 2 15-04-2007 , 05:13 AM
Lifetime Member
go to the outliner and select the camera with the image plane, then in the channel box click on the image plane1 under inputs and you should then see the input box for depth.Change the input to a larger number move the image back and smaller to move it forward.

# 3 15-04-2007 , 01:09 PM
Subscriber
really?? the image is already at -12.., you mean the camera i guess.., thanks, much appreciated. user added image

# 4 15-04-2007 , 07:38 PM
Lifetime Member
to get the image behind the grid i would think you need + number, try 100 that should be ok.

# 5 15-04-2007 , 08:53 PM
Subscriber
thanks again. as much appreciated as before if not more user added image

Lithuania?? I have never been there but I hear there some animation gurus in that part of the world.

# 6 15-04-2007 , 09:01 PM
Subscriber
hmm?? nothing changed?? no matter what combination of things I tweak?? must be the wrong 'tweak.'

bummer, I really wanted to follow this tut exactly.

# 7 15-04-2007 , 10:15 PM
Lifetime Member
I'm sorry I tried it on the front view and yes you are right i couldn't get it to go behind either.
I have attached an image plane creator mel if you put this on your shelf you can click on it add the images to what views you need and click ok and it creates planes to the scale of the images with a locator to control transparency and puts them on a layer all in one go.

Attached Files
File Type: mel refplanes.mel (12.9 KB, 143 views)

Last edited by jsprogg; 16-04-2007 at 12:31 AM.
# 8 16-04-2007 , 11:41 AM
Subscriber
how cool, thanks very much.., I started the model regardless but I am sure this will be a great tool to have

my thread is called.., 'arrrgh' on WIP