Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 10-12-2002 , 06:41 PM

methods for modeling insets?

In the attached image, I was playing around with booleans and it got me to wondering about the different ways folks use to make insets. Anyone have other methods they prefer for cutting shapes into surfaces? I realize this is a basic technique but for modeling technical pieces (starships and whatnot) it seems like a very important one, especially for greebling and stuff like that.

--pete

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 2 10-12-2002 , 10:32 PM
Subscriber
Yeah... Just last month I discovered booleans and what they can do. Now there isn't a model I make where I don't use booleans. =]

- Chris L. Harkins -
# 3 10-12-2002 , 11:17 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Oculus
Yeah... Just last month I discovered booleans and what they can do. Now there isn't a model I make where I don't use booleans. =]

oh you use it like hammer and chisel? start with a cube and move your chisel in place and subtract it from the cube??

just kidding user added image

# 4 10-12-2002 , 11:29 PM
Yeah but are there other common methods people use other than booleans?

# 5 11-12-2002 , 01:17 AM
I just getting to modeling and i know a bit about booleans.

How do i make by own objects or characters. I know about NURBS, Polys and subdivs but i dont know what tools to use to sculpt my own designs or complicated shapes...any help?

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....

Last edited by doodle; 11-12-2002 at 01:19 AM.
# 6 11-12-2002 , 03:14 AM
SM Alumni
Booleaning is my favorite method, but there's also the Make Hole Tool with Polys and in Nurbs you can select Isoparms and detach surfaces. You can also make a surface live, create a curve on it, make the surface unlive, duplicate the surface curve, use that duplicate curve to create a surface and delete it.....lots of ways to have fun user added image

Darkon

Red bellows of flame have blackened my stones
Convulsing my frame and cracking my bones
Hell's dragons of steel who roar in their chains
Crawl into my caves to suck out my veins.....

-The Mountain P.F.M.
# 7 11-12-2002 , 02:19 PM
Originally when I posted the pic I was going to include other examples of other methods I've come across including detach curves in nurbs and (if you want to affect the entire surface), extruding a poly face then pushing inward.