Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 31-10-2007 , 04:28 PM

Using sss fast skin

Hi all,

back at maya after an extended break, and I'm experimenting with sss fast skin. I've followed several very good tutorials, which give differing accounts of where to map textures etc.

With them all though, I find that my texture is very washed out. I had some nice variation on my skin texture when I used it with a lambert, which is lost when I apply it to this shader. Before I go and saturate all my textures, I thought I'd ask here if anyone has any advice on this shader, or painting textures to be used with it.

Like I said, I've got some excellent tutorials, but I just can't seem to get it right. And often the best learning has come from this forum, even after doing tutorials.

cheers,

gubar.

# 2 31-10-2007 , 07:03 PM
Its all about the weighting of the various parts.

Theres no way round it really as its just a lot of messing about untill you get a weighting that works, and then making a note of it for next time you use it.

The Gnomon ones probably the best, but it does vary on your lighting, get a nice look to the lighting with a standard lambert then switch to the SSS and adjust it to suit.

Thats really the best advice I can offer.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 31-10-2007 , 07:10 PM
Hi,

thanks for the response. That's what I've been doing, comparing the layers one at a time to the shading on a lambert, following the gnomon tutorial.

Starting to have a bit more success, though with much, much lower values than are suggested on most of the tutorials (and my model human is to real life scale).

Just keep plugging away I guess. I'll stick some examples up on my wip thread tomorrow.

cheers,

gubar