Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 29-12-2007 , 01:08 PM

Widgets?

I've got this crazy idea about creating my own Qt widget styles...

Since I have absolutely no idea how to use GIMP or Photoshop I was thinking of using Maya or some other 3D app to do some elements of the graphics, such as the graphics for the close button. Has anyone made a GUI with a 3D app? I would like to hear about it!

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 2 29-12-2007 , 06:37 PM
dont know whether this is really related (maybe just the name caught my eye) but if you're after creating an actual cross platform application then unlike Qt, this one is free to use for both commerical and non-commerical use:
https://www.wxwidgets.org/about/

I'm guessing it might use 'widgets' along the same lines as the ones you are talking about user added image

I was playing about with the idea of starting to learn it and rewriting my traffic simulator so that it was a standalone app that can import the data straight into different 3D apps.

Simon

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 3 30-12-2007 , 07:08 AM
Thanks for the link, but I'm not trying to use Qt for commercial uses, so its good enough for me user added image

Perhaps I should rephrase: What I'm trying to do is to create custom widgets (widgets being buttons, scroll bars, etc.) and I'm thinking of using Maya or another 3D app to make the graphical elements of it (stuff that would be too hard to code, such as the icon of a cross for the close button).

t1ck135 > "I was playing about with the idea of starting to learn it and rewriting my traffic simulator so that it was a standalone app that can import the data straight into different 3D apps."

Sounds interesting! So its for simulating traffic so you don't have to animate it all by hand?

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 4 30-12-2007 , 07:56 AM
I cant see why you couldent do it, although I think that using PS/gimp etc would be a lot faster, and it would increase your software knowlage, but if you want to use a 3d app go for it.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 30-12-2007 , 11:05 AM
The Architect - yeah, I realised that for an animation idea I have it would require hand animating loads of traffic on a multi lane road - tedious in the extreme! So creating a tool to do it for me could potentially be helpful to other animators in the future user added image

As gster says you'll probably do things a lot better in a 2D app such as gimp or photoshop. You'd be surprised how quickly people pick up those programs.

Simon

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net