Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 30-01-2008 , 04:41 PM
Subscriber

Hockey Goalie

I have been working a while on this model and rig. The inspiration is my daughter who plays goalie for a travel team in San Diego. I have a friend that does sports marketing and I have been playing with this as a test.

The face and helmet I got elsewhere. I have modeled everything else. The jersey has been my biggest battle, but its getting there.

check out: https://youtube.com/watch?v=KFgYiPM8ImI

This is an initial animation that I have done. I know the stick isn't totally in sync.

I'd love some input.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 31-01-2008 , 07:24 AM
Subscriber
love the character and the jersey is looking good. What are your objectives?

Like, what imput do you want, if this is just a cloth test and nothing else then i cant really comment. Though if it is a test why have you animated the stick?

Or, is this animation you intend to use.

those who succeed are only the failures that never gave up.

https://www.vimeo.com/7080130
# 3 31-01-2008 , 07:41 AM
Subscriber
The jersey was a real battle. I am currently working out a few issues that have caught my eye. I have some geometry that gets a bit off during animation. I was wondering if anything is catching anyone's eye funny.

The piece for right now is going to be a demo for what can be done. Once I get the rig working right, I am going to make a demo movie in a rink with pucks flying, etc.

I have seen some great commentary from Simply Maya regulars. I know I have some huge issue like the stick. When I attach it to the skeleton, it becomes real hard to control. I think I am just going to have to keyframe its motion and try to get it right. I am also having some issues at the end of the sleeves of the jersey.

As I get more defined, I will definately continue to post.

# 4 01-02-2008 , 12:42 PM
Hi,

for the stick, what do you mean by it becomes hard to control? I think you could parent it to a hand bone, or parent constrain and orientation constrain it to the hand mesh or hand bone, and it should just retain it's position relative to the hand.

If you're already doing this and it's getting wierd, maybe you could delete it's history and freeze it's transformations.

cheers

gubar

# 5 01-02-2008 , 01:38 PM
Subscriber
The stick hanging out is constantly inter-penetrating with other parts of the goalie. I don't think there is any way to stop that without making the objects dynamic. Maybe I'm wrong!

# 6 01-02-2008 , 03:16 PM
Subscriber
I have cleaned up the leg pads a bit. They aren't so angular when animated. I also have to redo the skin. For some reason my materials on the face were crashing the render every time.

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 12-02-2008 , 02:56 PM
Subscriber