Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 15-02-2008 , 09:24 PM
Subscriber

rigging a character in maya.

hi, i am creating a character and rigging it and (hopefully) if it ever works animating him.

I am following the official maya2008 animation handbook as a guide and am having probably applying the pole vector constraint to the armIKhandle. As soon as I do this the RotateX of the hand goes to -180 and the rotateZ goes to 1.14. Im not sure why this is or even if i really need a pole vector constraint for effective animation?

any words of advice or wisdom?

would be much appreciated!!

thanks

nige

the power of imagination makes us infinite.
# 2 06-03-2008 , 09:57 AM
Subscriber
Nige

Pole vector contraints are useful for elbows and knees.

This is how I use them. First create your joint chain, in the example shown I have created a simple leg. Then create an ikRPsolver from the hip to the ankle. Next I create a locator in front of the knee. Now select the locator and the IK handle and create a Pole Vector contraint. Now click on the locator and move it in the X-axis, hey presto a knee control!

Do the same thing for the arms and you have elbow controls.

If you look closely at the channel box you will see that Pole Vector is highlighted in blue denoting the Pole Vector constraint.

Hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails

Tickety boo and ta ta for a bit...
Gazzamataz
https://www.gazzamataz.com