Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 02-03-2008 , 01:07 AM
Location: My Hometown is Pittsburgh, Pa but my school is in Portsmouth, Oh

Question about extrusions

Hey guys, I'm very new to both Maya and these forums. My first project for class is to create a tie-interceptor from Star Wars. I'm pumped about it. My teacher wants most of it done with extrusions. Is that how most objects in maya are made? Is it bad to creat a whole new poly object to add a little detail? I see a lot of your guys' work and lots of it is VERY detailed and I just sit here wondering how is it all done just by extruding. Any suggestions or insight? Thanks a lot!!!

"Using No Way as Way, Having No Limitation as Limitation"
# 2 02-03-2008 , 01:40 AM
The Maya Mountain
it's on a case by case basis. some details are better suited by creating a new object, others would be best to be a part of the object, by extruding or whatever.

For a TIE fighter, yeah, I'd say extrusions for the wings and such shouldn't be a problem.

# 3 02-03-2008 , 01:43 AM
Thanks! is it ok of some shapes or objects kind of go into others? Like if the cannon on a tank goes "into" the turret part a little? I dont know how to really word it.

# 4 02-03-2008 , 02:31 AM
yeah - that's not a problem - you'll see as you begin to texture and render what you can get away with.

If you want things to sit exactly on top of one another, you may want to try out the align tools, though i tend to prefer moving the pivot of the object (press insert) and then using the snap keys (x for grid / v for vertices) to manually snap one object to the other.

# 5 02-03-2008 , 06:00 AM
Thanks a lot. I just didnt know if it made a difference if there were things poking into the inside of an object, if that affected quality or not. I know what you mean about the texturing tho.

I'll post up my Tie-Interceptor when I got the basics of it done and you can tell me what I did wrong and waht I could do better user added image