Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 08-03-2008 , 05:46 AM

Maya2008 locks textures

Hi

first I found this feature when baking a lightmap with
color/batch bake(mentalRay) and baking the first time
everything was ok but if I brought the texture to maya
and tried to bake again with the same name I had two
different errors when baking tga or 32bit tiff:

// Error: (mental ray) : cannot open texture C:/Work/renderData/mentalray/lightMap/plane_test.tga //
// Error: (mental ray) : .../renderData/mentalray/lightMap/plane_test.tga: unrecognized file format, not an image file //

// Error: (mental ray) : cannot create file C:/Work/renderData/mentalray/lightMap/plane_test.tif //
// Error: (mental ray) : .../renderData/mentalray/lightMap/plane_test.tif: can't create file (The device does

later I found out that the problem is maya2008:s feature
to lock all loaded textures.. so mentalray cant overwrite them or you cant modify them in photoshop

Ive tried to find a solution for this on two other sites but no luck so far.

:headbang: :headbang:

Last edited by kojala; 08-03-2008 at 05:49 AM.
# 2 08-03-2008 , 07:53 AM
Hi
I dont know exactly what your problem is. But I can tell I you that as I been working with mental ray and May for several months now I had problems using mental ray and tiff´s textures. I would suggest you to bring that texture to photoshop and save it again in tiff format. When photoshop asks you for image compresion (this is after going to save as, and changing the format to tiff), select "NONE". Maya and mental ray doesn´t have a 100% compatibility with the tiff images. So try that, and if it keeps happening, just try to change the image format (maybe to a png-24) or something.

hope it helps....

JuanM

# 3 08-03-2008 , 08:04 AM
No no no..

I need 32 bit lightmap and only ways to get them from maya2008 are tiff32 and hdr..

Please somebody test this with maya2008 create an image in photoshop then use it as an texture in maya (dont connect it to anything just load it to filenode) then try to modify this same image in photoshop and save it .. does your photoshop or any image modifieing program give you an error that the file is in use by other program or left open..

# 4 08-03-2008 , 08:08 AM
Subscriber
kojala, I may be way off. But if both Maya and Photoshop have the file open at the same time. neither will be able to overwrite it. As I read what you have written, you have the file open by two different programs at the same time.

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 5 08-03-2008 , 08:14 AM
Hi again.
I did the test and it works fine. I took a tiff image and load it to a filenode, then I open it in photoshop and modify it, save it, and no error ocurred.

JuanM

# 6 08-03-2008 , 08:19 AM
Subscriber
Then I was mistaken, sorry!!

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 7 08-03-2008 , 09:29 AM
sorry.. I should have tested this a bit more before giving you tests.. I thought it wouldnt work..

I did it my self and it worked.. user added image

but the errors I get when I bake a lightmap then bring it to maya and load it to a unconnected filenode and bake again and bang baking fails..

could you please try it

there is something weird going on..
Im using xp 64bit ..might that be the problem?

Wow this was the first site where I got some real answers!
thanks anyway

and I havent had any problems before using same texture in maya and photoshop at the same time (I used before maya6.. I know it was old but worked fine)

Last edited by kojala; 08-03-2008 at 09:32 AM.
# 8 09-03-2008 , 10:27 PM
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

I solved this thing... argh..

the problem was the mayas new "high dynamic range image preview options" attribute and its plugin that is found at file node

the problem format was tif 32bit .. maya can not read it with out this plugin so I had to turn it on.. and that plugin opened
this tif in a way that it can not be overwritten.. huoh

so I`ll be using hdr ... argh.. it took me a week to solv this