Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 25-03-2008 , 12:55 PM
Subscriber

cartoon female

I'm working off of the Digital Tutors stylized female character. I'm using different references again to make it my own character, and changing things here and there. This is my first attempt at making a human character using the box modeling style and so far it's been going much smoother than every attempt I've made so far at using the nurbs to poly workflow. This character still has quite a bit of work obviously but this is the first screenshot I've taken of this character and figured I'd start a WIP thread.

here it is so far. I'm about to do some more modeling right now. and I am going for a slightly more detailed cartoon female than the one in the video. with a bit less of a cartoony feel... I guess it's not much of a cartoon but I don't think I want to go for hi-res realistic. If that makes any sense.

user added image

Last edited by Rhetoric Camel; 25-03-2008 at 01:04 PM.
# 2 25-03-2008 , 01:15 PM
Subscriber
quick work on the not so realistic yet not so cartoony ear

front view:
user added image

back view:
user added image

# 3 25-03-2008 , 01:48 PM
looks very good so far. i might make that front edge of the ear flat with the face - i know it's a cartoon ear - but it looks a little odd.

# 4 25-03-2008 , 02:18 PM
Subscriber
thanks for the idea, since I've never made an ear before and it's also different than the one in the tutorial I wasn't thinking. Thanks again

Starting out the body about to make a leg for her

user added image

# 5 25-03-2008 , 03:34 PM
Subscriber
alright I think these are gonna be the last updates for tonight. Have to work overtime and have to be up at 5am, so I'm cutting myself off now before I lose track of time again.

leg is attached and I fixed the ear a bit. let me know what you think, suggestions and comments are always appreciated.

ear fixed:
user added image

leg attached front:
user added image

leg attached back:
user added image

The back looks a little jagged but it looks better when smoothed, no smoothed picture as of yet but later on as I go further on this project I'll post some.

# 6 26-03-2008 , 10:10 AM
Subscriber
looks good so far, the tutorial looks good from the parts ive seen
good luck

# 7 26-03-2008 , 10:18 AM
Not seen the tut, but it looks like its going pretty well for you,

Only thing I would do, and its personal preference is give a quick extrude of the arms just to get a sense of proportion, might help out with any probs with the reference images.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 8 26-03-2008 , 01:27 PM
Subscriber
thanks for the comments guys

gster: Thats a good idea, but I think a basic block of the feet then arms are coming up next (haven't looked ahead in the video yet) then from there I'll be doing adjustment before I go into more detail. The reference images that I'm using don't seem to be too far off, the only problem with them is the picture is drawn with the arms down so I have to get them to a basic shape then rotate them into the T pose to get them in the correct position.

This video is much easier than I expected. I tried it without any reference images to outline from but I don't have enough experience with organic modeling to be without the references to basically trace over.

I probably wont be getting to anymore of the modeling tonight, but hopefully tomorrow I can get some more work done.

# 9 26-03-2008 , 07:45 PM
To be honest I would keep the arms slightly down,m and not in a T-pose, I finbd it much easier to paint weights and get nice deformations when posed like that over a T

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 10 27-03-2008 , 12:26 PM
Subscriber
I've never tried that, although I've only painted weights once before and couldn't get my head around it, hopefully this time will be better.

# 11 29-03-2008 , 10:37 AM
Subscriber
alright so today I did the work on the feet, got them done, not the greatest so I'll probably still go in and tweak them later on but right now I'm having a problem

When I go to Mesh>Mirror geometry, I have it set up to mirror in -X but this is what I get when I mirror it. It does the same thing that it does if I change it to mirror in +X

user added image

any ideas of what I could possibly do to fix this?

# 12 29-03-2008 , 10:45 AM
Subscriber
after the previous post I figured I'd try the normals, somewhere along the lines they got reversed so I had to switch them back so it was an easy fix.

here is the model armless mirrored

user added image

the weekends coming up hopefully I'll get some time to work more on this model

any C&C are welcome as always.

# 13 29-03-2008 , 11:10 AM
im gunna come out and say it.... BOOBS

lol, though im sure thats just not come up yet. personally i think the thighs look a bit large in proportion to the waist, maybe define the knee a bit more

# 14 29-03-2008 , 11:16 AM
Subscriber
yeah I was thinking the thighs needed a bit of work although I do like thicker thighs and not stick legs, but I will get to that later on.
Boobs are after doing the arms and hands in the tutorial, just following the steps.
I've kind of strayed away from the cartoon female and am doing a more medium (not so low and not so high) poly female.

Thanks for the comment and suggestion.

# 15 11-05-2008 , 12:07 AM
Subscriber
been a while since I've updated, nice weather, busy with work, and spending time with my girlfriend have occupied a lot of my time lately. But here's an update, I made the arm, it's in a slightly twisted pose because I'm going to model the palms out. Think I need to make the forearm muscle a bit smaller, looks kind of big

user added image

user added image