Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 29-03-2008 , 04:09 AM

freeze transformation problem ?

hello everyone
plz help me with this problem
when i click on an object and click freeze transformation i get this error

// Warning: Freeze transform with negative scale will set the 'opposite' attribute for these nodes: polySurface6Shape //

and the object that i used freeze transformation on turns black

plz help

thanks

# 2 29-03-2008 , 04:37 AM
Subscriber
I get that if I duplicate a Sub-D'ed object. It only happens on the duplicated one. Not sure if that is what is happening in your case.

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 3 29-03-2008 , 04:43 AM
Subscriber
And the turning black is probably because the faces are reversed on the one that is duplicated. It happens alot when you use Duplicate Special. I would check that.

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 4 29-03-2008 , 05:27 PM

it is duplicated?

here is what i did i duplicated the pants

and then took a peice from it to draw a knife bag (see image)

i want to freeze transformation now and it turns black

the faces aren't reversed i checked the normals

obviously something wrong in duplication ? But Can it be fixed ?

or do i have to draw it again? thanks

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 30-03-2008 , 05:05 AM
Is it becoming black? or is it becoming transparent? If there is a negative scale, It is possible that when your freeze transform, it is reversing the normals. If you then have backface culling on, you won't be able to see faces who's normals are pointing away from you.

Alternatively, it may be disconnecting those faces from the rest of the mesh. this is also an issue with having the face normals facing the opposite direction then the face normals of those faces adjacent to them.

You can fix ether of these issues by selecting the mesh, going to Display > polygon > Face normal (this displays the normals), then select the faces that are facing the wrong way and, in your polygon menu set, select Normals > reverse.

you can then go to Display > polygon > Custom polygon display, and check on border edges. this will make any edge that is not connected to another edge appear to be thicker. check around the problem area to see if any of your edges are thinker, if they are, your going to have to merge the verts back together, then clean up your UV's.

Good luck, hope this helps.

# 6 30-03-2008 , 05:33 AM

thanks

the object had a negative scale in it

i just set it to positive and then freezed transformation

moved it to the place i wanted and the freeze transformation again it worked

but thanks for pointing the negative scale thing thats what helped me

thanks