Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 10-04-2008 , 08:11 AM

Animated Texture - How do I loop it?

I've got a simple animated texture, just 5 frames.

I've got them working--meaning the object I want the texture to appear on recognizes everything correctly. As I scrub through the time line, the first 5 frames are correct.

Now I need to loop them (post infinity > cycle), and for the life of me I can't get it to work. I've been searching for an answer forever and haven't found what I'm looking for.

Any help?

Last edited by INOX; 10-04-2008 at 08:22 AM.
# 2 10-04-2008 , 08:47 AM
SOLVED!

Heh, I found it myself. Anyone who's interested:

Once you've got your texture animated, below the "Use Image Sequence" box that you've got checked, Maya has created an expression. You can see it in the "Image Number" box below, which has turned violet. (refer to attached image)

Right Click over "Image Number" and select "Edit Expression."

The expression will read something like this:

"file1.frameExtension=frame"

After "frame" simply add %x (where "x" = total number of frames to loop).

In my case, with five frames to loop, I edited the expression:

"file1.frameExtension=frame%5"

NICE!

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 13-04-2017 , 01:53 AM
Still works, 9 years later... Thanks!

# 4 04-12-2017 , 11:08 AM
hello,
sorry for the 9 years late answer. the %x expression works well but keyframes enable much more controls on the texture (as graph and driven keys for example)!

you can break connections for the expression in the channel box for your file texture (accessing it by uncheking dags object only in outliner) then keyframing the frame extension and post infinite it as you usually would...

# 5 03-12-2020 , 05:08 AM

Works for GIFs or Image Planes

Thank you so much!! This also works for anyone using a GIF in a free image plane. I need it to loop for rotoscoping. Thank you. user added image