Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 05-05-2008 , 04:48 AM

Shark Jaws...

Following advice from a previous thread, I tried to model a shark in as little polys as possible to make one solid model.

Only thing is, now when I try to rig the jaws of the shark the whole mouth moves instead of the jaws opening and shutting. The teeth simply stretch instead of opening.

What would be the best way to create this shark in order for the mouth to function naturally?

https://www.mattscanvas.co.uk/Shark%20Jaws.jpg

# 2 05-05-2008 , 07:15 AM
I'm not an expert when it comes to rigging, but I believe that somewhere there is an option called 'Edit Membership'.
If you add all the teeth to the jaw joint they should move when the joint moves...

The rig itself looks good enough, so I don't think you have to rebuild anything user added image

...but that was when I ruled the world
# 3 06-05-2008 , 02:00 AM
Just wondering if someone would be kind enough to advise on my situation.

Freaky-Freeky was kind enough to point out the edit membership tool, which on doing a google search I have managed to get to the relationship editor within maya.

As you will see with the image below, I have 'skincluster1set' and 'pasted_softmod1set'. I am confused as how to change the 'membership'? How do i connect the various yellow pieces to the bones of the shark jaw in order to make it open naturally?

Any help greatly appreciated!

[IMG]user added image[/IMG]

# 4 06-05-2008 , 10:24 AM
Subscriber
there are several methods.

1) Parent them to the bone
2) Constraint Parent them to the bone
3) Bind Skin it to the Bone

# 5 07-05-2008 , 09:36 AM
Right now, it appears that your skin is being influenced by both the top and bottom jaw joints. You will need to weight the vertices based on where they are. make sure that the top jaw vertices are not being influenced by the bottom jaw joints and vice versa.

There are 2 main ways to do this:
1: Windows > General Editor > Component editor >>Skin weights Tab.
Select all the top jaw verts and put a value of 0 into any bottom jaw joint (then clean up using option 2 bellow).

2: animation menu set > Skin > Edit Smooth Skin (assuming you smooth skinned this guy) > Paint weights.
paint the weights so that none of the upper jaw verts are influenced by the lower jaw joints. (I personally like to add all the weight in an area to a single joint (IE value of 1), then slowly, in small increments (IE value of 0.1 or smaller) add to other joints, using smooth flood when desired.