Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 23-07-2008 , 11:43 PM
Head of 3d Admedia

mirror weights

hi all,
just finished rigging a model and painted the weights across one half of the model.....the problem comes when i mirror the weights when i mirror the shoulder sides it works perfectly but when i try to mirror the the legs it still mirrors the shoulder. affecting the same place.
my question is how do i mirror the arms then mirror the legs

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 24-07-2008 , 03:51 AM
Hi,

since the mesh is all one piece one operation should mirror all the body parts. Have you returned it to the bind pose before you mirror?

cheers

gubar

# 3 24-07-2008 , 11:51 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
Yup and even followed the tutorial on the documentation but still it doesnt mirror correctly do u want to take a look i email u the file

# 4 24-07-2008 , 12:21 PM
Lifetime Member
A couple of things to watch for.

1 the model should be centered over the center of the grid since the mirror function mirrors across the grid axis.

2 make sure you are mirroring across the right Axis

3 the model must be symetrical which should be your bind pose.

To mirror selected areas of your model instead of the whole skin

A) Hold your cursor over your bound skin and right click and select Control Vertex or Vertex.

B) select the vertices on the side from which you want to mirror from and afterward the vertices on the side you want to be mirrored to.

C) Now Select Skin > Edit Smooth Skin > Mirror Skin Weights option box and set your options.

D) click on Mirror.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner

Last edited by jsprogg; 24-07-2008 at 12:36 PM.
# 5 24-07-2008 , 11:44 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
did exactly that but it didnt mirror properly im guessing ill do it manually for both sides

# 6 25-07-2008 , 05:50 AM
Hi,

are you sure you're mirroring over the correct axis? If you posted up an image of your scene AND the setting you use maybe someone could spot something.

Sorry that I can' look at your scene just now workin on my uni stuff day and night or I would maybe someone else will

cheers

gubar