Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 06-10-2008 , 08:24 AM

how to smooth a polygon?

i want to smooth a cube.

i read the related help file, but when i try to select uv faces i get an error message in the bottom of the screen.

how do i select uvs? what is a uv?

could someone pls give me a step-by-step guide on how to slightly smooth cube's corners just to give them a round look?

# 2 06-10-2008 , 11:23 AM
Super Moderator
You're looking to edit the wrong component, leave UVs alone unless you're going to prepare the model for texture painting, and even then, you cannot move,scale, or rotate Uvs in 3D space, it must be done via the UV Editor, hence the warning message. Faces, vertices and edges are the components you manipulate to edit the mesh, not Uvs.

The insert edge loop tool is your friend. Drop a row of edges in the height, width and length, the closer the edges are, the less its going to be rounded when you smooth.

Attached Thumbnails

- Genny
# 3 06-10-2008 , 12:27 PM
Subscriber
Genny's right,

the edge loop tool is your friend.

Another way to go about this though would be to use the bevel tool. Simply select the cube and hit the bevel command (edit mesh > bevel) you can then adjust the offset and the segments (highlighted in the image) to suit your needs.

Take it easy,

Mat user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 06-10-2008 , 02:52 PM

thanks!

i made it.

user added image

# 5 07-10-2008 , 03:24 AM
Subscriber

Re: how to smooth a polygon?

Originally posted by sifidis
how do i select uvs? what is a uv?

UVs are 2D coordinates that get mapped into 3D space.
Used when you want to put textures (pictures) onto something

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D