Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 16-10-2008 , 01:05 PM

Fairing curve for boat hull

Hi
Apologies but I'm totaly new to 3D software and I'm trying to get my head around everything.

What I would like to know, if anyone can give me an idiots guide, is how to plot the co-ordinates I have for a boats hull that I have taken off a real one.
These were obtained by placing a measuring stick alongside the hull at predetermined points and then measuring in from the stick to the hull, again at predetermined measurements down the stick.

I'm hoping that this will then give me a 3D image of the boat.

Another problem I have, is that the hull has had a bit of a battering, so the cordinate points will not produce a 'fair' curve.
So I would also like to know if I'm able to 'Fair' the curve.

In the old days they would bend a thin strip of wood around certain points, that were marked on a grid that was drawn on the floor and this would then give them a nice 'faired' curve. This was called 'lofting'.

Many thanks for any help anyone can give.

Last edited by cockybundoo; 16-10-2008 at 01:12 PM.
# 2 16-10-2008 , 01:15 PM
Use a NURBS curve it auto smooths the curve out.

The points for the curve you would have to place to the dimensions you need in space. Have a play with it to get a feel of what's going on.

Theres a free tutorial on the web about making a battleship in maya using curvs then lofting them together, a google with something like modeling a battle ship in maya shoiuld get results.

Use the principles in that for your project, if your not used to maya then I would do the tutorial all the way through to get your maya chops up.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 16-10-2008 , 01:48 PM
Subscriber
Steve whats the link for the ship.., by a coincidence i need to make one.

Mirek user added image

take it easy and life will be easy
# 4 16-10-2008 , 02:32 PM
Many thanks gster123/Steve

I google'ed it and I think I found the one you're on about; https://www.tutcity.com/view/making-a...maya.1533.html

There is also a great tutorial on waves at sea, that may be ideal for me latter on, when I want to get a bit more advanced;
https://www.tutcity.com/view/creating...aya.16977.html

I'll have to have a good read of it now, but at least it will give me a better idea as to what to read up on.

I'll also play with putting points in certain places, to make up the curves. I'm tempted to do it the old way and draw it, then use that to place the co-ordinated points and get the curves faired that way. I've read some articles on how cars are done that way

Cheers you've been a great help and have enabled me to get a clearer picture by seeing 'through the trees'.

Mike

# 5 17-10-2008 , 12:14 PM
Subscriber
hey many thanks to you too cockybundoo.., much appreciated for that link

mirek user added image

take it easy and life will be easy