Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 10-11-2008 , 10:30 AM

Combining Polygons with surfaces?

HI. I;ve created an object with lots of Polygons and Beveled edges (surfaces) and now i want to make it one object.

I can't do Boolean union becuase it needs polygons and won't accept the surfaces.

It lets me do Combine but ignores the surfaces and just uses the polygons.

I know i can just copy it instead but i prefer if it was just one object.

thanks

EDIT: And if i Do copy it, i get a wierd thing where if al the objects are selected, some would move faster than others using the move tool, as if they were on a different scale.
any ideas?

# 2 10-11-2008 , 11:01 AM
Super Moderator
Try just grouping them.

- Genny
# 3 10-11-2008 , 11:01 AM
Already in a group. Any other suggestions?

# 4 10-11-2008 , 11:38 AM
Subscriber
if they are in a group you can move them all together at the same "speed"
to select the group use the hypergraph, outliner or push the up arrow on your keyboard (pushing up takes your selection up to the parent level in a heirarchy)
by grouping you give the objects the same pivot point and they will transform at the "rate", so they will move together, scale together, and rotate together, and they will die together

a boolean isn't going to work, and neither will combine because it doesn't make absolutely any sense at all when the two objects are completely different in every respect possible (polygons and surfaces are built differently)

if you don't like grouping (you'd have to change the pivot point after doing so if its not where you want it to be) you could parent the surface to the polygon, or the other way around, although unless your froze transformations then one will move "faster" than the other

another thing you could do is convert the surface into a polygon and then combine them from there

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 5 10-11-2008 , 12:48 PM
Freeze transformation - that's what i was looking for!

i think i'm gonna convert them to polygons so they're all the same type. cheers chirone!