Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 08-12-2008 , 09:38 AM
Subscriber

Fix eyes translating differently from rest of body?

Hey guys,

i'm rather new to Maya, and tried tinkering around with creating some simple stuff. Well i've made a character and rigged him up and made a simple walk cycle with him, but there's a problem when I try and move his whole body around. Now since I am still learning, my methods are most likely wrong, but here's what I did:

I wanted independent control over the main body mesh and the eyes, so I simply parented a pair of polySpheres to the main body mesh for his eyes. However now when I try and translate him along Z to move him forward/back, his eyes don't move with his body. Is there any simple way to fix this, as since i've already made a walk cycle it'd be a bit frustrating having to do everything again.

Sorry, forgot to scale the pic down. Here's what's happening:

https://img68.imageshack.us/img68/517/alieneyes2sg8.jpg

Last edited by Mike45450; 08-12-2008 at 01:17 PM.
# 2 08-12-2008 , 02:40 PM
Subscriber
i think your problem would be that you parented to the body MESH and not the skeleton.

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 08-12-2008 , 03:35 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
parent the eyes to the head joint, this will stop the problem

_J

# 4 08-12-2008 , 04:16 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Jay
parent the eyes to the head joint, this will stop the problem

_J

Unfortunately I already tried that and it didn't work.

# 5 08-12-2008 , 05:08 PM
Make sure they arent connected to the body in any way as well then freeze the transforms too.

Parenting them to the head joint is pretty much the standard way of this being done. I would check how they are attached right now then do the method Ive just mentioned....I'm not wrong in my suggestion in any way, so its something in the way your hierachy is sitting

Jay

# 6 08-12-2008 , 06:42 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Jay
Make sure they arent connected to the body in any way as well then freeze the transforms too.

Parenting them to the head joint is pretty much the standard way of this being done. I would check how they are attached right now then do the method Ive just mentioned....I'm not wrong in my suggestion in any way, so its something in the way your hierachy is sitting

Jay

Ah, sweet, it's working now! Thanks so much!

What I was doing was ungrouping it from the body and deleting the history, but that just caused the skeleton to detach from the body. Instead I ungrouped it and then deleted the input nodes for the eyes in the channel box, and now it's working fine. Thanks again!

# 7 08-12-2008 , 06:49 PM
Cool np...

_J