Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 20-12-2008 , 09:27 AM
Subscriber

Hypershade does not appear correctly??

Noob here,

Intending to set an image plane, upon starting maya, I go to hypershade to work with the cameras & find I have no camera tab; see pic.

Does this image look proper. Notice the 'show' filter button look kind of jacked too. I am wondering if my installation is working properly or do you always have to "add a tab" just to work with something?

user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 20-12-2008 , 06:05 PM
Looks to me more like a graphics card problem, whats the specs?

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 20-12-2008 , 09:08 PM
Subscriber
That would be awful. it's a relatively new 8800 GTX.

So when I start maya I should see all the tabs (Materials, Cameras, Textures, etc...) running across the upper tab area? I don't have to toggle a setting somewhere to show them?

# 4 20-12-2008 , 10:07 PM
Super Moderator
I've had Hypershade weirdness on my display #2, I think it just has its share of bugs but update the drivers anyways.

- Genny
# 5 20-12-2008 , 11:19 PM
You should have everything, if menus are missing etc its gfx card OR if your running large fonts 120 that can mess with the menus, drop em back to standard.

# 6 21-12-2008 , 12:58 AM
Subscriber
looks like my fonts are at 96.

If it's my graphics card, that was a waste of $500+ dollars. But you'd think it would show up elsewhere too but I haven't seen a problem anywhere else.

It just occurred to me I recently updated my directX to Nov 2008 version. Maybe I'll try uninstalling that & re installing an earlier version just to see if that helps, but I don't readily see the connection there.

# 7 21-12-2008 , 03:42 AM
Subscriber
i'll be somewhat surprised if it did fix it, because i thought Maya was OpenGL based

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 8 21-12-2008 , 04:21 AM
Subscriber
well, after updating the grfx card driver & re-installing DirectX (I know... prolly no connection), it still manifests the same problem. So either the grfx card may be on the way out or my maya install is somehow corrupt. Next I'll try re-installing maya. if that doesn't work, I'll buy a macbook pro. life will be so peaceful then.

If anybody has any other ideas, please reply & thanks for all the replies so far and everybody have a happy holiday season.

# 9 21-12-2008 , 04:35 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by shazen
if that doesn't work, I'll buy a macbook pro. life will be so peaceful then.

sorry but the following is classed as spam as it doesn't add to the value of this thread:

ROFLMGFAO
:lmao:

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 10 21-12-2008 , 05:22 PM
The Nurb Herd
Whats your problem with macs?

...there is a bug a bug with the hypershade where the icons at the top space out really far apart. The only way to fix that is to restart maya. however your problem is not this, so i'm afraid i cant help anymore.

Last edited by honestdom; 21-12-2008 at 05:26 PM.
# 11 21-12-2008 , 05:33 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by hammer.horror
Whats your problem with macs?

sorry if i offended, i dont have a problem, i just find it harder to switch between windows and a lot slower to type on a mac than a windows, even with expose...

add:
if it was a grpahics card problem then shouldn't you be able to take it back and claim it fualty?

# 12 21-12-2008 , 06:51 PM
Subscriber
sorry for the inappropriate line in the earlier post. Just to follow up, I un-installed maya, re-installed & is still does the same thing.

I'll pursue a replacement card. I bought it 6 months ago online through newegg so maybe they'll honor it.

# 13 21-12-2008 , 07:33 PM
Have a google on that card with maya.

The gforce cards are generally not qualified to run wth maya, though most of them do, with very little problems, you might need to cange some settings etc. On the 8000 series I remember a few people having issues with them, have a look over in the maya section on CG talk, you mght need ot search it though.

You'd get the same problem on the macbooks (pro's too) as non of them come with a 100% card, think it even outlines the problems with them on Autodesks site

# 14 21-12-2008 , 09:19 PM
Subscriber
Happily, The problem is resolved.

For some time I was using a 2nd monitor but a few months ago I unplugged one and reset the display settings accordingly.

After following your advice to google around, I found several issues about maya & two monitors & getting the settings correct. I plugged the 2nd back in & reset the display settings and voila, my hypershade window works properly and consistantly now. So it was gfx card related.

Go figure!

# 15 21-12-2008 , 09:51 PM
Yeah as I said, maya can be picky with GFX cards, hence why autodesk have a qualified hardware chart and a list of problems associated.

Anywho, glad you got it sorted.

Have a good christmas!