Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 08-01-2009 , 02:39 PM

Controlling materials

I have a panel of small LEDs which form a robots eyes and i use one material for the 'on' lights and another for the 'off' ones. I want the eyes to show expressions so i need a way of controlling the shape made by the 'on' eyes.

I don't know if it's even possible but can anybody think of a way of doing this?

Thanks,
Ben

# 2 08-01-2009 , 04:12 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
You can use a lattice, for creating a such an effect
and you can use set driven key to drive the on with the off and vice versa

# 3 08-01-2009 , 06:09 PM
Hey,

Sorry i didnt explain it very well - i dont think youve got the idea of what i want to do.

Ive attached an image to show it better- the dots are like a screen which the robots eyes are displayed. The black dots are one material and the blue are another.

I want to keep the dots in the same place but change which have the blue material to make different eye shapes.

Thanks, I hope this is easier to understand
Ben

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 08-01-2009 , 10:28 PM
I would use a different object for the eyes. changing the texture will be tricky and way too heavy.

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)