Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 14-03-2009 , 02:40 AM
Subscriber

need help

I am trying to light my lamp and have it illuminate everything.I tried a point light but the light is not going through the glass of my lamp. Anyone know how I can do this.Here is the scene

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 14-03-2009 , 02:59 AM
The Nurb Herd
my mind has gone blank, but you could try breaking the light links.

One thing I can say for definate is get out of the habit of using an image instead of glass. It doesn't look good! You should model the room, you will discover that it's not at that angle.
I would also say the wall needs something. Looking at the style of the lamp and shutters I think it would look cool with some European propoganda posters. It would add a lot of interest to the scene and could strengthen your composition.

# 3 14-03-2009 , 04:45 AM
Super Moderator
Unless I'm being slow today I don't see how the image demonstrates the problem, I don't see the point light in action even inside the lamp, it looks like the default lighting so I'm totally confused. If raytraced shadows is enabled on the light and raytracing in the render settings I can't see why there should be that problem. Only thing I can think of is maybe you're using depth map shadows, also you can turn off cast shadows for the glass panels altogether /shrug

And I agree with hammer about the composition, its kind of bare at the moment, maybe add something, those paint fx vines would look might nice there or maybe reframe the shot to eliminate that large grey portion.

- Genny
# 4 14-03-2009 , 01:08 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by GecT
Unless I'm being slow today I don't see how the image demonstrates the problem, I don't see the point light in action even inside the lamp, it looks like the default lighting so I'm totally confused. If raytraced shadows is enabled on the light and raytracing in the render settings I can't see why there should be that problem. Only thing I can think of is maybe you're using depth map shadows, also you can turn off cast shadows for the glass panels altogether /shrug

And I agree with hammer about the composition, its kind of bare at the moment, maybe add something, those paint fx vines would look might nice there or maybe reframe the shot to eliminate that large grey portion.

I dont have any lights in the render. I was just asking why a point light would not go through. I am going to add something to the wall, I think I said in the first thread I would add ivy. I just want to get my lighting down.

# 5 14-03-2009 , 01:31 PM
Subscriber
Take a screen shot with the lights on so we can see whats happening. On the bulb you will need to add a glow to it so we can see where the lights coming from and if your bulb has a solid colour on it you wont see the light through it as it will just light the inside so position your light just above it.

a quick 2 min demo on how i would do a light bulb (obviously more tweaking and detail would be involved.)

user added image

I would also model the inside of the room as it looks like your looking down into it which wouldnt be the case from the angle your at. And i would add a wood bump to your shutters as most likley this is what they would be made of and then painted.

Hope that Helps.

T

Last edited by bigtommyb; 14-03-2009 at 01:35 PM.
# 6 15-03-2009 , 12:14 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by bigtommyb
Take a screen shot with the lights on so we can see whats happening. On the bulb you will need to add a glow to it so we can see where the lights coming from and if your bulb has a solid colour on it you wont see the light through it as it will just light the inside so position your light just above it.

a quick 2 min demo on how i would do a light bulb (obviously more tweaking and detail would be involved.)

user added image

I would also model the inside of the room as it looks like your looking down into it which wouldnt be the case from the angle your at. And i would add a wood bump to your shutters as most likley this is what they would be made of and then painted.

Hope that Helps.

T

Thanks for the help tommyb. I didn't think that light could not pass through the bulb if trasparent. I actually have a bump on the shutters. I copied the look from shutters actually painted this color and you cant see any wood grain just rough surface if that what you were referring to. I am going to keep all my texture the same but thanks for the crit. I was just experimenting with the picture card of the room to see how it looks and I didn't like it either. I am not going to have a room you can see in my final render so you wont see that. I have not figured out how to use ivy generator yet once I do the plant growth on the walls will be incorporated. I think I am going to try to use final gather in this render instead of the direct lighting approach I have learned and practice. I have not spent much time rendering realistic renders but it's time.