Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 26-07-2009 , 05:26 PM
Subscriber

what are the game limitations now?

I know that characters had to be pretty low before and it seems a lot of people still follow that low of a poly count for it. I'm just wondering what are the industry standards for poly count for characters and poly counts for the scene?

# 2 26-07-2009 , 07:22 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
I remember reading somewhere that some of the GoW chars were as much as 10 - 14 K .

Obviously the limitations change with different types of game, such as MMORPG vs. RPG.

Plus with all the with the LOD models, and other tricks. You can get away with a lot more.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 3 26-07-2009 , 08:11 PM
10k tirs is the middle limit the standard.
Depends on the game MMORPG requires less due to lot's of details like for example WoW.
On the other hand i have a look @ diablo III models they are REALLY HYPER DUPER LOW POLY .... but i don't know how with textures and other stuffs they look very real and the isometric camera do the job. So it depends.
Why are you asking my friend are you going for a game ?

# 4 26-07-2009 , 09:10 PM
Subscriber
no it was purely out of curiosity, and just to know. I've never really attempted to model a character for gaming and am just gathering information and maybe I'll attempt one as my next project.