Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 19-12-2009 , 03:23 PM

How often does Maya crash?

Ohh. I was just in the zone, bevelling a pieces for a rod mount on my boat project and - EMTPY.

Maya just disappeared and I was staring at a my desktop. It was like it never was there in the first place. No message, no error no nothing. It was a few extrudes and bevels since I last saved my project.

Is this common?

# 2 19-12-2009 , 07:28 PM
EduSciVis-er
I don't think Maya is known for its stability. I've not had that exact response, but several times I've had a freeze, not responding, and had to ctrl-alt-del.

Only solution would be to save and save often! And report bugs to Autodesk.

# 3 19-12-2009 , 07:57 PM
Crash every single day.. user added image

# 4 19-12-2009 , 10:33 PM
EduSciVis-er
Maya just crashed for me a second ago... :headbang: "Fatal error: Attempting to save [some temp file]"

Fun times.

# 5 20-12-2009 , 01:04 AM
Subscriber
funny... it doesn't crash for me at all....

at least not often... maybe once every two months or so?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 6 20-12-2009 , 01:46 AM
Subscriber
Most Maya crashes, are related to Video card issues from what i know.
IF this helps any...
for instance, My ati card, i cannot run catalyst drivers on it, i have to use Hacked drivers, or Maya will not run for me at all, due to the ogl integration into its gui.

My Nvidia cards, same thing, only...i haven't figured out what part of nvidia's drivers cause it to crash yet.

I have also had Maya cause my core temp to rise and lock my computer up as its fail safe to prevent damage. but since i installed an additional 6 72 mm case fans in my tower, i haven't had that issue..LoL

G-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 7 20-12-2009 , 04:35 AM
Technical Director
Maya crashes occasionally, usually due to user error, such as setting the polygons too high and exploding your ram, or other things like that. I maybe get around one crash every three days.

Max on the other hand.... It crashes every 45 minutes, and corrupts not only the autosave file, but your working file as well. It also will save corrupted data, resulting in creeping file corruption, until the file is completely useless.

All in all, Maya is probably one the most stable 3d apps out there.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 8 20-12-2009 , 10:30 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
ummm everyday .........but then again i wouldnt trade it for any other 3d app i tried max but as next design said it crushes and it corrupts the save files so i stuck to maya

# 9 20-12-2009 , 12:40 PM
Pretty much never in my case, unless I overload the RAM.

I find that most crashes are user error as Next Design said..

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 10 20-12-2009 , 01:57 PM

Originally posted by gster123
Pretty much never in my case, unless I overload the RAM.

I find that most crashes are user error as Next Design said..

Yeah, I used to have crashes pretty much all the time when I first started using Maya, but now it's very rare that I get one, usually only when I'm testing out how far I can push something render wise.

# 11 20-12-2009 , 07:00 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
It doesn't crash often for me and when it does it usually saves it and i'm working off a laptop with a poor integrated GFXcard

# 12 21-12-2009 , 01:49 PM
Lifetime Member
I find Maya stable enough to work on with my Mac, it's just not very stable when rendering, but that could be down to lack of RAM.

-J

Poly-pushing on a '96 SGI O2