Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 30-12-2009 , 04:13 PM

Can not select vertices or faces!

Every time i try selecting anything but objects, Maya won't react. I have been using Maya on this computer before, but this problem has never occurred. sometimes, when I try to select a vertex, the screen flash and sometimes it even crashes.

Have any of you had this problem, or do you know how to deal with it?

Best regards

Akonron

# 2 31-12-2009 , 06:20 AM
You might want to rename your maya folder (on a pc this is in your documents folder not sure where it is on a mac) this will force maya to reset your preferences to the defaults.

Sometimes this fixes problems like you are describing.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 3 02-01-2010 , 05:24 PM
No, it didn't work. Have you got any other ideas?

# 4 03-01-2010 , 07:04 PM
I have seen one other case with this behavior but I doubt it is causing your problem.

I frequently use "select with constraints" to determine if I have n-gons, non-planar, non-manifold geometry.

I just as frequently forget to uncheck the thing I am trying to select for then invariably scratch my head for 15 minutes before I realize I have select only non-planar or something checked and maya refuses to select anything.

But as you are clearly leaving and restarting maya any select with constraint options would be reset.

I am still thinking about it though and if anything comes to mind I will post it.

Have you changed any hardware, gfx drivers, gfx cards, in particular? I hate to fall back to the old "Have you reinstalled maya?" recommendation but...

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 03-01-2010 at 07:06 PM.