Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 19-12-2010 , 11:58 PM

Realistic rusty skin robot

i try to make it realistic texture on my robot
but i keep on fail to make it..
when the moment iu render its looks so fake n unrealistic.. would u pls help me
best regards omegaend

# 2 20-12-2010 , 05:04 AM
Lifetime Member
how about a few pics mate?? then we can see what you need for help

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 20-12-2010 , 01:46 PM
hi bullet1968 i send 2 of image to you one is my robot with texture and the other is gundam. i want to try make a realistic texture like this gundam.. would u help me
thank in million

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 20-12-2010 , 06:01 PM
you need to texture with images - in your colour.
These need to be put on Uvs.

go learn about uv layout.
Then it will look cool user added image

# 5 20-12-2010 , 07:26 PM
Administrator
Not to discourage you, but doing what you want is quite difficult. For getting realistic damaged metal like that you'll need both a texture and a material that that works, you'll also need nice lighting for your material to work the way it should.

You can do it in one out of two ways, you can either as mentioned lay out UV's for the robot by laying them out flat by hand in Maya's UV texture editor or you can use a plug-in. Either way models should always have UV's. When you've done this you can find a metallic texture at one of the large texture sites like CG textures and connect it in as a color map to a material. You would also need to make a bump map to make it realistic. These types of textures are bitmaps and in Maya if you look in your Hypershade you also have procedural textures, if you use 3d procedural noise textures they work independently of UV's and connecting them together in the right way you can build up things like scratches and imperfections on metals but this is quite tricky to get right.

Fot the materials you can use a blinn for metals, but mental ray materials give better results in general. To get an idea of how metallic materials are made you can look at the metallic paint and car paint materials. Metallic surfaces depend on reflections so for this reason you can't render in isolation but you'll need to create an environment around your model, this can be done by an environment sphere, using image based lighting or mapped reflections.

So these would be the things you'd want to look at. But start by laying out the UV's and then go from there.

Nilla

# 6 20-12-2010 , 09:25 PM
Lifetime Member
As Sircharles and Nilla have said mate...UV layout first....then go from there. I agree with Nilla...this is not going to be easy, there is a fair amount of detail and work to be put into this to get the same effect. Photoshop is also an option...either way it will be a lot of work but it will be worth it.

As Nilla has pointed out...you need good lighting to give the correct feel and get the most out of it when you are done...

We are all here to help mate...just have a go...thats the fun part..if you get stuck just post and somebody will help you through. This will look really good with a good texture job and good lighting!

cheers bullet

PS have a look at honestdoms and daves jerry cans in the jerry can challenge to get the idea.

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 7 21-12-2010 , 12:08 AM
thank you my dear friend thank for you advice.
i have uv layout and all the related material...
but i am very noob abt it
can u all help me
here is my uv layout is it right?

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 21-12-2010 , 01:47 AM
Events Team at Wargaming.net
For the most part everything seems fine..it looks like you may have some overlapping UV's on the 3rd item down on the far left side(I am at work right now so I cant save the file and show you which ones so bear with me) also the one in the center with the "frame" around it, I belive the "frame" is an unmapped UV, you may want to look into that.

Also did you Relax the UVs at all?

# 9 21-12-2010 , 03:25 AM
Lifetime Member
Im at work as well but had five minutes in from the heat...I think Oz means these 2 areas here mate...1st is overlapped or unwrapped UV's...you may have missed them. The 2nd is what appears to be a neat square?? is this a UV that is unmapped??

I hope I got the right ones Oz...I spotted the square but not the overlap..well spotted.

Hope I have helped

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 10 21-12-2010 , 03:59 AM
Events Team at Wargaming.net
Aye bullet you found the ones I was talking about. I am pretty sure that neat square is an unmapped UV, at least thats how it looks for me when I miss a face or two.

# 11 21-12-2010 , 04:22 AM
Lifetime Member
No wuckin furrees mate...yeh I wasnt sure so I didnt comment but since you saw it too I thought you might be right..I didnt see the overlap LOL...didnt look hard enough.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 12 21-12-2010 , 11:21 AM
Hi! I'm a newbie so don't take any of this too seriously uless someone says it's ok user added image
I thought I'd give a try to make a texture that looks a bit like that. It's still pretty far away but I think now it's just a matter of tweaking. The first thing I noticed is that gundam isn't rusty, it just has some parts of missing paint and you can see the metal under it. That's what happens when you fight against other transformers
What I did is:
1) unwrap the UV layout
2) Open in photoshop and paint the white and gray textures (diffuse map)
3) downoaded a scratched metal tex from google and filled a new photoshop layer by duplicating that texture all oer the place
3) using a world map as a brush I removed some parts of the "diffuse layer" (so I could see the metal underneath)
4) save diffuse map
5) create a black and white version of it without the painted stuff and changed saturation of the layers
6) saved as bump map
7) added textures in maya
8) render with hdri

here's the result and the textures I used (scaled down):

Attached Thumbnails
# 13 21-12-2010 , 04:33 PM
hi thank you for u all guys passionate help me out
i am very glad but the overlapping map i duno how to to abt and the one unmapped actually i unfold it and organize to neatly looks map..
what is diffuse map...how to i apply it

# 14 21-12-2010 , 05:20 PM
Lifetime Member
have a look in the Maya help files for different maps mate. I would not be worried about anything other than getting the UV's spot on and how you are going to texture this puppy...LOL

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 15 21-12-2010 , 05:44 PM
Sorry I can't help you with the unwrapping, I still didn't learn that in maya. Anyway: i was wrong with the diffuse map (that's how it's called in the other software I use)..in Maya it's just called "Color" and it's basically just the colors and paintings on your object (in my test it would be the white material with the dark stripes and text + scratches). To apply it just selec the object, apply a material, click on the little arrow near the "Color" in the material tab and select "File" then browse for your file and it's done.
The Bump map simulates depth in your object without adding geometry to it. Here it's explained better:
https://simplymaya.com/forum/newreply...treply&t=34823
To apply it do as you did for the color, just click on the arrow near "Bump" instead of "Color".
Whe you paint your textures remember to remove the white painting near the hard edges, just like the example robot you showed!

good luck