Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 22-03-2011 , 10:19 PM

A Hello and a Hair/Fur/NCloth question

First, I'd like to say "hello". This isn't my first time to this forum, but it is my first time posting.

I've recently picked up and started learning Maya. For a large part of the personal project that I've been doing, I've been able to glean what I needed to learn either from following examples I've found or by just reading the "getting started" instructions that come with the program.

The problem is, I'm getting to a point where I'm not entirely sure what I need to learn in order to proceed efficiently.

[the question]
My question for this topic is whether I should use fur, hair, ncloth, or a custom plugin to simulate hair in maya. The model is detailed, but is a cartoon/anime style, and I'd like to keep that overall feel. I had planned on making the hair from regular geometry and then using ncloth to simulate natural movement. This model will eventually go into a game, ideally.

Is this feasible? Recommended? There are some other fur-covered areas I will be adding later that I would like to use the same technique for, and I'd like to nail down where my focus should be. Apologies in advance if this was asked before. I've done my due diligence and haven't found anything to exactly answer my question yet.

# 2 22-03-2011 , 11:07 PM
The thin red line
If you are thinking of putting it into a game find out what the game supports, I dont think Fur,Hair or ncloch would transfer over to a game(could be wrong)...........dave

# 3 22-03-2011 , 11:19 PM
EduSciVis-er
If you're thinking about a slightly cartoony style, I think you're on the right track with making geometry and then deforming it. I don't think fur would give you the look you want. It's a good point about the game engine though.

# 4 23-03-2011 , 12:13 AM
Good point, the engine didn't even occur to me. I checked it out (I'm using/learning UDK), and I get the impression that there is a way to import it in, I just have to find/figure it out. Alternatively, I can use the UDK cloth tool, I believe.

Thanks much for the quick responses.