Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 30-03-2011 , 04:37 PM

And then something went wrong...

So I was modeling a city, mostly of Polygons with some hypershading, and when I opened the file this morning, the models weren't appearing correctly, all my hyper shades were gone. Primitives were still being listed in the outliner but not showing up when I press F. I have tried Show All and that didn't work. I have also tried going from wireframe to smooth shade and nothing works. Also in my outliner there is a lot of extras that I know I did not put there.

user added image (Building is historically interesting????)

user added image

I do work on a school computer that is shared with 5 other students in different classes but none of them take Maya and I doubt many would know enough to really mess with my files. Is there anything that can be done? Is there a chance my files got corrupted?

If this isn't the place to post this, I apologize.

# 2 30-03-2011 , 05:09 PM
SM Tea Boy
Weirdness, if you are able to please post the scene file and I'll take a quick look see.

Dave

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 3 30-03-2011 , 05:26 PM
EduSciVis-er

# 4 30-03-2011 , 05:38 PM
In your Outliner, click on display and make sure Connected is checked. That should reduce all those extra options you have shown. By default, all that is checked is DAG Objects Only, Connected, and Show Namespace. That should clean up your Outliner.

As for your objects, it's hard to say what's going on without being able to see the file.

# 5 30-03-2011 , 06:38 PM

Outliner is fixed but still need help with the files.

Thank you skippyk39, that cleaned up my outliner. Here is my file - Downfall Game Project. When it opens, it looks like nothing is there.

# 6 30-03-2011 , 07:18 PM
Just opened your file, and everything seems to work for me. You have a few pieces of geo on your bike with no shaders, but other than that, it works on my end.

# 7 30-03-2011 , 07:29 PM
I tried opening it with another Mac computer and got the same problems. Could it be the result of using a mac? Although I opened my other files and they worked fine. None of my classmates are having this problem either.

# 8 30-03-2011 , 07:38 PM
SM Tea Boy
Seemed to work fine for me although thats one large ass file you have there. Sorry can't help with the Mac issue don't have one to test it out on.

Attached Thumbnails

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 9 31-03-2011 , 02:06 AM
Super Moderator
Objects didn't have a shader assigned and the viewport was set to high quality so I couldn't see squat. All I had to do was right click the default render layer and select all, then assigned the lambert1. Also, some of your meshes have reversed normals.

Attached Thumbnails

- Genny
# 10 31-03-2011 , 02:21 AM
SM Tea Boy

Objects didn't have a shader assigned and the viewport was set to high quality so I couldn't see squat. All I had to do was right click the default render layer and select all, then assigned the lambert1. Also, some of your meshes have reversed normals.

^what she said user added image

Opps thanks Gen I forgot to say I had to assign a material.

David user added image

# 11 31-03-2011 , 11:44 AM
The bike was showing up as well as the lamp, two models which I imported from Turbo Squid. My buildings are another problem, they were cubes and polygonal models and now I have a face or two and a decorative trim but the rest are gone.

# 12 31-03-2011 , 03:08 PM
Lifetime Member
I opened it fine too.....had a version error is all.....the bike tank geo went loopy...Gen and David looks like you had that too?? or was it just me LOL? yeh I agree....thats a HUGE bloody file man...whoa....I will note interestingly...there were NO layers at all...you dont use the layer manager? does anyone use it? not one layer for any of the geo at all, or is that a newer to older version thing too?

chees bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes