Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 01-02-2003 , 02:16 AM
Simply Maya OG

Help with Shaders, Plz?

Is there a tut. that describes what shaders do, and how exactly how they work? Ive seen shaders around, and they look really cool, but I havent the slighest clue on how to use them. Thnx for any help.

# 2 01-02-2003 , 02:26 AM
Subscriber
not a tut, but you can try in the tut section of the board
basically, you have your geomettry (model) and all a shader is, is something which gives your model a colour, or a texture if you will eg. you model a box, you apply a brick type shader (which is just a simple image file) and it looks like a brick wall
but using a simple image file wouldnt be enough as that would just give your wall a colour, you would need to create a bump map, which makes the bricks on the wall stand out, and the cement stick inwards

all of this put together, everything thats added to the model to give it a texture, is called a shader user added image

hope i havent confused you, its half 2 in the morning user added image sorry

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 3 01-02-2003 , 02:39 AM
Simply Maya OG
Tnx for the info Nem, but thats not really what I meant, althought you did clear up a few things I was wondering about. I should have been abit more clear. Im talking about the (filename).ma shader files. Theres shaders that comes with Maya, and theyre under the AW/ShaderLibrary directory. Agian, sorry for not being clear.

- Hybrid
# 4 01-02-2003 , 02:47 AM
Subscriber
Middle mouse drag one of those files to the top section of Hypershade. You can either drag the shader onto an object or select the object then right-click the shader and select "assign material to selection" to apply it to an object.

# 5 01-02-2003 , 04:04 AM
The Maya Mountain
I've got a little Hypershade tutorial at my site if interested. Goes over basic materials and what a shader is.

Good luck!

# 6 01-02-2003 , 11:49 AM
Subscriber
ohhhhhh user added image
theyre pretty easy as well, just open up hypershade, go to file>import then select the .ma/.mb shader file you have
it should appear in the top part of your hypershade window (this is for downloaded shaders)
the ones you're talking about (comes with maya) to use them in the bottom part of your hypershade window there are 2 tabs, one called "Work area" and another called "shader library" click on the second tab and all ur shaders are in there
then do what darkware said, middle click drag into the top, then assign it to a model user added image

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 7 01-02-2003 , 04:30 PM
Simply Maya OG
mtmckinley: your tut. helped me out a BUNCH! I finally know how to make transparencys. Thnx.

Darkware/Nem: Thnx for the help. This place, and the guys here are great.

- Hybrid