Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 01-11-2011 , 06:30 PM

Can't Select Object

I have an odd problem...I can select one of my objects in Maya unless I select it through the outliner, and even then I can't do anything with it...I can't change it from object mode or anything. And I can still select all the other objects in that scene. I have made sure to check the layer, have looked at the selecting options, made sure "selecting hi-lighting" option is on, and select surface objects lock is on. I have even closed and restarted the program, to no avail. Selecting objects still works for other scenes, so I am guessing that it's an option I accidentally clicked on the object itself? The only thing special on it is a blendShapes.

# 2 01-11-2011 , 06:49 PM
need to see a screen shot. especially of the selection filters at the top of the gui. You may have the component type filtered out. Although, closing and re-opening the program should have cleared that.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 3 02-11-2011 , 01:09 AM
Noober than noob

I have an odd problem...I can select one of my objects in Maya unless I select it through the outliner, and even then I can't do anything with it...I can't change it from object mode or anything. And I can still select all the other objects in that scene. I have made sure to check the layer, have looked at the selecting options, made sure "selecting hi-lighting" option is on, and select surface objects lock is on. I have even closed and restarted the program, to no avail. Selecting objects still works for other scenes, so I am guessing that it's an option I accidentally clicked on the object itself? The only thing special on it is a blendShapes.

Did you do this by any chance? Display > Object Display > Template.
If it's that, i found this in the guide:

To untemplate objects
On the Status Line, choose the Select by Hierarchy and Combinations button.
On the Status Line, choose the Select by hierarchy: template button.
user added image
Select by hierarchy: template ensures that only templated objects will be affected by a selection.
In the scene view, drag a selection box around all the objects in the scene so that the templated objects are selected simultaneously.
From the main menu, select Display > Object Display > Untemplate.

# 4 02-11-2011 , 04:22 PM
Lifetime Member
If you are using layers you could of possibly added it to a layer that is set to (R) that would make it unselectable.

- Jake
# 5 22-08-2016 , 11:46 AM
it is all on the display override in the attributes of the shape not that make the display type: reference so you can't select it, make it back to normal

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 12-02-2020 , 10:22 AM

attribute editor/ shapes/ drawing overrides / display type/ reference

I had the same problem today, trying to get rid of the dashed lines for sotf edges (they drive me mad...).
While trying about every option in the attribute editor I went to shapes/ drawing overrides / display type and dumbly checked "reference". Object was unselectable. So select it via the outliner go back to drawing overrides / display type and check "normal" and your object is selectable again.

# 7 12-02-2020 , 12:10 PM
glad my illustration was helpful, you can use this referencing of objects to protect your file if you are sending it to someone you don't want him to select or edit your objects,