Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 02-12-2011 , 03:49 AM

object invisible after loading scene

hi folks,

i'm going crazy: when i open my project, the object isn't there, even though i saved it. i also have incremental save on and in some files, the polygon-model is gone, in others it's there...

the image planes are always still there and visible.

i read thousands of posts and tried everything, imported the file rather than opening it, checked display options, viewport -> show all etc. the strange thing is, in the outliner, i can still see the object. here is a screenshot, any ideas?

https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/265/scrnshtc.jpg/

thank you in advance!

# 2 02-12-2011 , 04:17 AM
I see you are on a the renderlayer tab. Can you go to the display layer and ensure you have not got those parts on a non-visible layer?

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 02-12-2011 at 04:19 AM.
# 3 02-12-2011 , 12:48 PM
Hi ctbram,

thanks for your input!

don't know why it was on the renderlayer...ich haven't worked with layers until now, in the display tab, there are no layers...

what more can i do? i have no clue, please help me! user added image

# 4 02-12-2011 , 01:22 PM
cant do much based on the screen shot. can you upload the scene file?

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 5 02-12-2011 , 01:26 PM
You may have done some kind of operation that failed and caused the object involved to be lost. This happens most often when people try to boolean objects that do not follow the boolean rules..

chances are if they are gone, they are just gone and you will have to go back to the latest incremental and start over from there. I do not know what version of maya you are using but maya 2012 is buggy as hell. Of course autodesk absolutely flat out denies this and will blame it on your hardware, the day of the week, the phase of the moon, the size of your underwear, and will not take responsibility for the crap that is maya 2012!

But they will waste a shit ton of man power creating new versions of tools that already work like the split polygon tool! Of course they will rush to create the SAP version to get people to pay more money so they can have the 2012.5 version that is just as broken as 2012, and I am sure they are racing to maya 2013 as I write this with lots of trivial features while ignoring all the bugs they are creating!

GG Autodesk!

Last edited by ctbram; 02-12-2011 at 01:33 PM.
# 6 02-12-2011 , 01:37 PM
the only kind of operations i did so far, is scale, rotate, split faces and move verteces...nothing fancy.
is it possible, that i have to create a layer and assign my object to it bevore saving?
but if so, what i don't understand is, why in some of my files the object is there and in others not...

thanks a lot, i appreciate that!

# 7 02-12-2011 , 01:54 PM
is it possible, that i have to create a layer and assign my object to it bevore saving?

no

The only thing I can suggest is pick one of the invisible objects, right click in the viewport and assign existing material and pick lambert1. In 2012 objects lose there material for some reason but generally when that happens and objects are there and just show up in wireframe and when you go to shaded they are green.

I without more data or seeing the scene files and looking at the history of the object I really can't say why they are going away on you.

sorry

# 8 02-12-2011 , 02:31 PM
The thin red line
Can you see the mesh in outliner if so click on it and press "f" key, it might be of the grid?............dave

# 9 03-12-2011 , 12:46 AM
doh that is a good idea dave. I did not think it just might not be framed

# 10 04-12-2011 , 01:49 AM
man, i just can't solve this problem...
is it too much to ask for one of you trying to open my file and checking if you can see the object?
sorry, i just don't know what else to do...

# 11 04-12-2011 , 02:04 AM
upload the file

# 12 04-12-2011 , 05:59 PM
@ ctbram: thanks a lot!

thank all of you for your patience and kindness, now i have the solution...

somehow i have to select the mesh in the outliner and then do something with it (i.e. scale, move etc.) in order to make it reappear...it's like the object is in sleepmode until i grab it^^
i have no idea whether this is normal or not, i assume it has to be some kind of bug...
but i don't care, as long as i am able to go on with my work...

# 13 04-12-2011 , 10:05 PM
That isnot normal but glad you got a solution for it.

# 14 04-12-2015 , 09:52 AM
select invisible objects and export them to .fbx.

# 15 09-11-2019 , 07:17 PM
Iv been having the same problem and I to found a better solution. If when you load back up your scene you find that your geometry is missing!! Just simply go to the ( The "polySplitRing" Tab in the Attribute Editor. Now scroll down until you see the tab ( Profile Curve Options ) just untick "Enable Profile Curve". Your Geometry should reappear user added image

Maya has a serious bug inside the " INSERT EDGE LOOP" tool and also the "Multi Cut Tool".
Hope this helps