Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 07-02-2003 , 08:18 PM

Making 1 NURBS model from many NURBS patches

HELP!!!

I've got a bunch of NURBS objects that were made from as squares tweaked until I got a nice cage for my model. Now I want to merge them all into one object but no matter what method I try I get crappy results. Does anyone know how to do this? It's so easy in other 3D packages that I figure I must be over-looking something.

Thanks.

# 2 07-02-2003 , 09:14 PM
Subscriber
I don't think you're supposed to attatch the elements in a patch model. I think you only need to fix the alignment of the surfaces.

I know that you can tweak the surfaces manually, by; making the 2 + 2 cv's that is on both of the opposing nurbs-surfaces, making them aligned in a line, in that way, the surface will flow perfectly from one to the other. You can draw a 1 degree line and place it near a cv and snap the two other cv's onto it.

I also know you can use the global stich and the edge-stitch tools.
But theyt may need some tweaking.

And some five corner patches may need manual tweaking anyway. Five-corner-pathces are a set of five patches, which meet at the same point. Optimally you only have a four-corner-patch, where four pathces meet. With five, the tangency may be less than acceptable, when using any alignment tools. But I'm still a newbie.

But keeping the tangency is important when makin the seams not visible.

The secret is the end-cv's which makes a line when you go from viewing cv's to viewing hulls. The hulls reflect the cv's and should be a perfect straight line (perfect tangency) from the end of a patch to the other end of the other patch.

I opened your file and got to use the stitch edge tool and for pairs of surfaces, it worked like a charm.

Hope this help a little.

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 3 07-02-2003 , 09:24 PM
Thanks for the effort, but I tried everything you said, including the stitch, and none of it worked. Are you telling me you used the stitch tool and it smoothed the tranistion from one surface to the next? How?

user added image

# 4 08-02-2003 , 08:39 AM
Subscriber
1) Select the two end-isoparms on each surface

2) Goto stitch-edge-options and select positional and tangential blend.

3) or just use the stitch-edge, and adjust the values afterwards, by looking at the attributes for the surfaces.

4) Press enter to complete your stitch.

Some pathces probably needs manual tweaking anyway!

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 5 09-03-2003 , 06:19 PM
Well there is only one way to do this.. Convert all your nurbs objects to polygon, attach them and merge the vertices.

The Big V
# 6 08-04-2003 , 01:24 PM
Subscriber
Hi Dann,

I'm not going to give you any specific tips, but I have a nice little link to a huge load of tutorials, and there you'll also find some on patch modelling as well.

It goes like this: https://www.boris3d.de/tutorials.html

Hope you'll find what you need. user added image

renderizer

Subdivide and conquer!

Free your mind, and your ass will follow!