Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 26-10-2012 , 11:29 AM

Save crash

please help me, i noticed that every time i work on my animation and then goto save it, Maya 2012 crashes all of a sudden. I cant progress with my work now coz this happens every time. Please help me, this assignment is due in tomoz!!!!! :'(

Heres a link to my work:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/huw7zxgg6s...11_1204.mb.zip

Thank you

# 2 26-10-2012 , 03:02 PM
If the file is corrupted and it's a binary there is little that can be done. If the file can be opened then saving it back out as a .ma might make it able to be fixed by someone that has the skill to read and correct a maya ascii file.

Often times it's your preferences file that get corrupted and some of that can be stored in the scene file. So this is the procedure I usually follow if I suspect a problem...

1. open the scene file and select and export the objects in the scene to a new file
2. close maya
3. on windows go to the user documents folder > maya > 2013-x64 (or whatever version you are using) > prefs

and delete the userprefs.mel file (or rename it if you want to save it)

4. restart maya and open the exported scene file
5. resave it and verify it does not crash

At this point you have reset you userprefs files settings to the default and also reset any settings saved in the original scene file that may have been causing problems. You will have to reset your custom settings under windows > preferences.

NOTE:

Since maya 2009 I have had to do this so often that now once I have configured my windows > preferences the way I like I make a backup of the userprefs.mel file. If things get borked all I do is expoprt the object as in step 1 above and then just replace the existing userprefs.mel file with my copy that I just keep in the same folder all the time.

Also note if the problem is being caused by third party nodes this procedure will not really help you. In that case you'll have to see if removing the third party nodes fixes the problem and if it does you'll need to contact the vendor to report a bug with the nodes created by their app.

-Rick

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 26-10-2012 at 07:58 PM.
# 3 27-10-2012 , 10:27 AM
not that didnt work either, i even tried installing maya 2013 but the problem still occurs. i think theres something wrong with the actual file. OMG this is soo bad, alll my hard workkk....I HATE YOU MAYA FOR DOING THIS TO ME :'(

PLEASE HELP

heres the .ma file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9xi94vzpv5...12_1114.ma.zip

# 4 27-10-2012 , 11:32 AM
Opens and saves just fine for me

I do not see anything wrong with the file. Try deleting your maya folder or rename the folder so that the entire thing is recreated when you launch maya.

What EXACTLY is the problem you are having?

As I said I can open the file and everything looks fine and I can save the file and reopen the saved file.

This would suggest it's your preferences or a system problem.

Attached Thumbnails

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 27-10-2012 at 11:38 AM.
# 5 27-10-2012 , 11:48 AM
yeh it saves fine when you dont make any change, open the character controls, select a controller like the arm, move it, save the keyframe and then try to save...it crashes user added image

# 6 27-10-2012 , 03:19 PM
anyone? please help user added image(

# 7 27-10-2012 , 05:21 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah I opened, moved the leg, set a keyframe and saved, no crash user added image You might want to check to see if its a prefs issue as Rick directed.

- Genny
# 8 27-10-2012 , 07:34 PM
yep I can move the controls, set keyframes, make playblasts, save, make edits, etc. everything is working fine and I cannot see any errors in the .ma file.

Delete or rename the user maya folder (not where the software is installed, but where your prefs are stored). Then restart maya. The user maya folder will be recreated with all default settings. This will wipe your plugins, shelves, and hotkeys. So you may want to just rename the folder instead of deleting it. But you are having a major issue at this point so wiping the maya folder will take you back to ground zero so you can isolate the problem.

Then try to open the file and make edits, set keyframes, and save. If it crashes, you are then most likely looking at some kind of system problem because the file seems fine.

Last edited by ctbram; 29-10-2012 at 04:00 PM.
# 9 29-10-2012 , 12:19 AM
i'll try to restore to a working backup of my system

# 10 29-10-2012 , 01:03 PM
Technical Director
You don't need to restore your computer. Just delete your preferences folder.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 11 30-10-2012 , 09:03 AM
i did and that still didnt work for some reason

/Users/"myusername"/Library/Preferences/Autodesk...and then from there i deleted the prefs folder, and then i even tried deleting the whole maya folder user added image :S

Last edited by asamad; 30-10-2012 at 09:09 AM.
# 12 30-10-2012 , 05:17 PM
hmmm removing the maya folder should have reset everything to the defaults and if it was a preferences issue or something else in the maya folder that should have cleared it.

The bad news is that this is now leaning towards a system incompatibility problem of some kind which could include - graphics drivers, conflicts with other software, a system hardware problem.

When it crashes does it produce a crash dump and try to save the file or is it just a straight crash to desktop? Autodesk can look at the crash dump to see where the crash is occurring but of course they NEVER get back to you with anything.

To further isolate the problem you could try opening the file on a school system (it sounded like this was due as a class project so I am assuming the school has a systems lab maybe). If the scene opens there you may want to complete it on the school system and then figure out the problem on yours when you are not up against a deadline.

ND might have some more suggestions to try and isolate the problem.

-Rick

# 13 30-10-2012 , 09:05 PM
thanx, ill restore my macbook to an earlier working date to see if there was something wrong with my mac, and then ill also try opening it on a windows laptop to see if it works, if it does ill just finish it on the windows laptop.

illl keep you guys updated. Thanks btw

# 14 01-11-2012 , 11:05 AM
yes there is something defo wrong with the file. If work on a brand new file this problem doesnt not occur, i even tried it on different systems. You sure you guys dont come across a problem? it happens every time i move and rotate a few skeleton controls around and keyframe them and then save the file

# 15 02-11-2012 , 09:26 AM
i had to remove my skeletons controls and create a new one and start the animations again