SimplyMaya Forums

Welcome to the forum, feel free to ask questions here.

SM Forums / Lounges / Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge / UV disappears after mesh>combine

Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge Please post in this section ONLY if your question doesn't fit in anywhere else on the forum, or if you're not sure which section it's relevant to. We also have Free streaming trial available.

Join the conversation. Reply to post

19-08-2014, 09:24 PM   #1
athormah

UV disappears after mesh>combine
Hello, I have this model that I finished and UV mapped. I did it all separately and now want to combine into one mesh. When I do combine it seams that the first object clicked loses its UV map and texture. Any ideas on what is going on?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UV1.jpg
Views:	3293
Size:	523.3 KB
ID:	56030   Click image for larger version

Name:	UV2.jpg
Views:	3232
Size:	524.6 KB
ID:	56031  
19-08-2014, 10:47 PM   #2
daverave
The thin red line

I think this is to do with UV sets, try renaming the UV sets to the same name before you combine..............dave

20-08-2014, 08:46 PM   #3
Skalman

try deleting history, or duplicate the model, combine it (and expect the uv's to mess up on one model), then transfer uv's from the duplicated one to the combined.. thats all i can think of, also try what dave said

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding
Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop user

Full name: Marcus Ralman

https://www.facebook.com/MarcusRalman3D

^ My facebook page ^
22-08-2014, 12:07 AM   #4
athormah

Thank you guys for the help, unfortunately those options didn't work. What I found out though is by looking into the UV sets, for some reason the objects that were losing their UV's they had a map1 and a map11 on them. The ones that kept their maps just had map1. I don't know why this was creating such an issue, but when I tried to rename them all the same, the one that just had map1, I named it to mach the others and then it completely lost the UV, I couldn't even undo and get it back. So I don't know what happened, I know now that I need to finalize my object, then combine it, and then UV map it.
22-08-2014, 06:34 PM   #5
daverave
The thin red line

Just try this, create two cube then auto map them and combine the meshes you should see both UVs when you select the mesh, the problem is caused when you name the UVs.................dave

21-12-2018, 09:47 AM   #6
pitamberjangid

solution
Quote:
Hello, I have this model that I finished and UV mapped. I did it all separately and now want to combine into one mesh. When I do combine it seams that the first object clicked loses its UV map and texture. Any ideas on what is going on?

After making the UV mapping of one portion, delete history and goto

Edit->Duplicate Special option box
Geometry type : Copy
Group under : Parent
Scale: on required axis type -1

Turn on : Assign unique name to child nodes

Click Duplicate special

Now combine them & check : Its done!!!!
21-12-2018, 05:35 PM   #7
Kate Ehrhardt

I was having the same problem. None of the above mentioned methods solved my problem. What did work though was exporting the uncombined pieces as .obj, then importing it again into maya and then combining it.