SimplyMaya Forums

Welcome to the forum, feel free to ask questions here.

SM Forums / Lounges / Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge / Making Curved UV's Straight

Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge Please post in this section ONLY if your question doesn't fit in anywhere else on the forum, or if you're not sure which section it's relevant to. We also have Free streaming trial available.

Join the conversation. Reply to post

05-03-2015, 02:57 PM   #1
bauma1lp

Making Curved UV's Straight
I am having an issue with UV's on this magazine I am trying to texture. I am fairly new to UV mapping and i am trying to figure out how to straighten the edges of this model. I am attempting to texture the edges and curving a photo to match the UV is painstakingly slow and the results are not that great.

So is there a way to straighten these curved portions of the UV for easy texturing?

Thanks for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-03-05 at 9.48.34 AM.png
Views:	2590
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	56528   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-03-05 at 9.49.08 AM.png
Views:	2398
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	56529  
05-03-2015, 09:38 PM   #2
Gen
Super Moderator

You could try this trick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU8hy17vxuw

Maybe try one of these scripts, they might have what you need.

UVDeluxe
Nightshade UV
::|| My Maya FAQ ||::
05-03-2015, 11:34 PM   #3
Jay
Lead Modeler - Framestore

Ive not watched Gens video...

but, one element of maya that getss overlooked is the Unitize Uvs command. This will basically break your shell into individual poly square in the uv editor. Then simply marquee select drag over ALL the edges. When you have done this, simply deselect the edges on the model where you would like to create the seams for you uvs. Once you are happy hit the move and sew uvs. This will make them all nice and squared. However the next trick is to unfold the uvs so they sit nice and natural and represent a nice unfolded version of the model. The in the unfold options either check horizontal or verticle...you should be able to tell just by looking at the shells. If it goes odd just check the opposite button and try again....job done and very easy

Jay
06-03-2015, 03:34 AM   #4
bauma1lp

Thank you Jay for the great advice. Will give it a try
08-03-2021, 06:54 PM   #5
Orbixal

Quote:
Ive not watched Gens video...

but, one element of maya that getss overlooked is the Unitize Uvs command. This will basically break your shell into individual poly square in the uv editor. Then simply marquee select drag over ALL the edges. When you have done this, simply deselect the edges on the model where you would like to create the seams for you uvs. Once you are happy hit the move and sew uvs. This will make them all nice and squared. However the next trick is to unfold the uvs so they sit nice and natural and represent a nice unfolded version of the model. The in the unfold options either check horizontal or verticle...you should be able to tell just by looking at the shells. If it goes odd just check the opposite button and try again....job done and very easy

Jay
You sir just saved me hours of pain. I literally just made this account to say thanks xD
08-03-2021, 09:08 PM   #6
Jay
Lead Modeler - Framestore

you are welcome. Theres quite a few nuggets of info people share on here...its worth sticking around

_J