Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 05-07-2019 , 11:49 PM

Rotating a group of Faces uniformly

Greetings Maya Community.

I am trying to model blinds in a pair of windows. When i select all faces and use the rotate tool, the whole object rotates. I looking to have each row rotate evenly. If i rotate one at a time, how can i make sure that they are all even ?

Is there a way to Face select all rows and still have them rotate individually in an even way ?

Here is an example screenshot.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 06-09-2019 , 01:51 AM
Two ways you can do this. You can use the component orientation mode by using the marking menu by holding down E and pressing and holding left mouse button.
If you have Maya 2017 or newer the component mode should allow the rotation to orient on the polygon normal.

If you don't have a new maya 2016 or older you can simply separate all the individual polygons you have and make them separate objects. Making sure they are all the same angle.
Then center the pivot on all the items and then you can have all selected and they should rotate the same amount around their centered pivot points which should do what you want. Then combine them again... .OR just leave them separate so you can adjust them again. Maybe make a selection set so you can adjust the blinds again easily.

# 3 09-09-2019 , 04:05 AM
In Maya 2016, you can use the Transform Component command. It opens up a menu similar to Extrude Face (but without the extruding) and you can modify the Local Rotate variable to have each face rotate on it's own pivot.

Transform Component is found with Shift+Right Click hold while components are selected, at least in Maya 2016.

Image attached for reference.

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 07-10-2019 , 02:07 PM
Is it one object? If so, center the pivot and rotate them to desired angle. If they're separate objects, combine them (not face mode but in object mode) then center the pivot and then rotate them. If you want different rotation values on some of them then separate them (object mode) center the pivots on them then rotate.