Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 30-04-2003 , 12:20 PM

Fake GI in standard Maya render

Hi guys, I am new to Maya and also 3d.
I am working on a water-lily scene using about 70 spotlights to create a light dome. Problem is with the render....shadow grids on the petals....can anybody help how can I remove them? Where can be the problem?

Here is a bigger image https://simko.host.sk/waterlily.jpg
Look at the even shadow structure at the petals. Also bump map was painted by hand in Photoshop and does not have such an even structure.

Last edited by atlantica; 30-04-2003 at 12:48 PM.
# 2 30-04-2003 , 12:39 PM
Subscriber
Hi atlantica,

it looks great... user added image

however I'm a newbie and unfortunately can't answer your question at the moment...

but have you tried G.I.Joe to render with?
https://www.3dluvr.com/pixho/toolbox/...I_Joe_doc.html

I don't know if that will solve your problem... since I don't know that much about the rendering or light process yet... user added image

regards

Strarup

------------------------------------------------
Alex V. U. Strarup

One mistake can ruin it all...
# 3 30-04-2003 , 12:42 PM
I'm not quite getting what "shadow grids" you're talking about from the attached image.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 4 30-04-2003 , 01:36 PM
might wanna increase the samples of each light from 128 to say 256. (if you are using GIJoe)

If you are using MR, then not sure...

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 5 30-04-2003 , 02:11 PM
Rage, he's using the standard renderer. I didn't check out the larger image when I posted earlier so missed the grids.

Atlantica, what type of shadows are you using? Raytraced or depth map? Have you played with any of the attributes?

If you're using depth map shadows (which is what GI_Joe uses), try cranking the dmap resolution up for sharp shadows (1024). If you want softer shadows use a smaller Dmap like 128 or 256 and increase the dmap filter to 2 or 3. With so many lights, I would stick with the smaller resolution and increased filter otherwise you're computer will get bogged.

If you're raytracing and want a soft shadow, adjust the light radius and increase the shadowrays a bit...maybe start with 7 and go up or down from there. Be aware that increasing light rays will increase your render time.

Let us know if you get the problem solved.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."

Last edited by NitroLiq; 30-04-2003 at 02:28 PM.
# 6 30-04-2003 , 04:55 PM
Oh.. sryuser added image my baduser added image Thanks!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 7 30-04-2003 , 05:35 PM
Subscriber
your spotlights
open up the attribute editor and im sure that if u have shadows in ur scene u wud either have depth map shadows or raytraced shadows on
under the depth map shadow options, u just need to increase the dmap filter size

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 8 01-05-2003 , 09:46 AM
If you are using CPS for the modeling, you should be aware that the BASE mesh has the Recieve shadows in the renders settings set to on. Turn this off and you will get the right result..

If you are not using CPS, then I have no idea..

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
Maya Software Manager & Maya Instructor
LEGO Systems A/S