Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 01-05-2003 , 02:44 AM
Subscriber

Heaallp ! bump map prob..

my bumpmap is not showing up.. its liked to the right UV just like the color textue map.. but on the bump channel.. so that should be right.. is there something in the render globals or atributes that would prevent it from rendering ??

also is there a way to see the bump map with the hardware texture on ??

Last edited by Pony; 01-05-2003 at 02:52 AM.
# 2 01-05-2003 , 02:55 AM
The Maya Mountain
ambient lights do not show bump maps... You may also need to UV map your model. Those are the only 2 reasons I could think of.

# 3 01-05-2003 , 03:29 AM
Subscriber
its fully UV maped.. and the bump maps show up on the other parts of the model with the other UV sets..

# 4 02-05-2003 , 01:29 AM
Simply Maya OG

Originally posted by mtmckinley
ambient lights do not show bump maps

Yea, Ive noticed that. Anyone know why that is?

- Hybrid
# 5 02-05-2003 , 02:38 AM
The Maya Mountain
ambient lights cast light everywhere. They don't really break for shadows, although they do cast slight shadows. So, bumps don't really get calculated with them. Hope that kinda makes sense.

# 6 02-05-2003 , 12:57 PM
Subscriber
Hi Pony,

eh... I don't know if this will help you... but AW has a little tutorial here... "HOW TO COMBINE BUMP & DISPLACEMENT MAPS"... -->
https://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/Com...ent/index.html
is says version 2.5 thou... but I think i would work on newer versions also... user added image

regards

Strarup

------------------------------------------------
Alex V. U. Strarup

One mistake can ruin it all...
# 7 02-05-2003 , 01:07 PM
An ambient light in reality is just a brightness wash applied over the render, and normally destroy a good looking render if used incorrectly. Maya´s ambient light does differ from the pack since it does compute the position of the light, however not as much as you would perhaps like.
That´s why the bumpmap isn´t computed within the ambient light.
Go through Mike´s three point tutorial to get a good sense of lighting a 3d scene. That way you´ll preserve the bump map, and achieve a fairly better render.

# 8 09-05-2003 , 10:09 AM
Subscriber
Well a update for you all. in V4 of maya. You can not have a bump map on more than one UV set. This was suposto be fixed in 4.5 but not compleatly.

Basicly you cant use bump maps with multiple UV sets. It will only bump certain UVsets that are on the same shell, >> eraticly.

Maybe it is fixed better in V5 ..