Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 22-07-2020 , 08:05 AM
Head of 3d Admedia

Rendering

Hi everyone, what's the choice of renderer for interior lighting. Im trying to move on from mental ray as it seems the industry abandoned it several years ago. Im checking out Arnold but it seems that render times are off the charts compared to mental ray!

# 2 29-07-2020 , 12:09 PM
Super Moderator
Hey Murambi! user added image It's been a while. Hope things are good. But yeah, about that renderer, I bailed to Redshift. I was forced lol but thank goodness because it's fast and straightforward, especially if you're accustomed to mental ray. The naming conventions are somewhat similar. Maya 2016's mental ray implementation was driving me up the wall and the interior render time I was getting in Arnold when Maya 2017 dropped just wasn't working for me either. Rough days.

-Gen

- Genny
# 3 05-08-2020 , 06:01 AM
Head of 3d Admedia

Hey Murambi! user added image It's been a while. Hope things are good. But yeah, about that renderer, I bailed to Redshift. I was forced lol but thank goodness because it's fast and straightforward, especially if you're accustomed to mental ray. The naming conventions are somewhat similar. Maya 2016's mental ray implementation was driving me up the wall and the interior render time I was getting in Arnold when Maya 2017 dropped just wasn't working for me either. Rough days.

-Gen

hmm ok let me try my hand at redshift! I dont understand why Maya is pushing for arnold like that, the render times are ridiculous just to try and get noise out of an image