Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 12-08-2021 , 09:57 PM

Complete Newbie Modeling Question

So, I'm obviously totally new at this modeling thing. I'm running through a bunch of tutorials with the hope to make some models I can print.

My question is this: How do I go about modeling surface detail like I'm seeing in the picture I am attaching? Most of this looks like I would just create geometry and extrude it a little to get the detail, but what about the circle in the middle?

How could I make the circular surface cutout and then build the bisected sphere shape in the middle of it? I tried looking into the Boolean options but the geometry I seem to get when I do that is not conducive to adding more detail.

I'm attaching a picture of what I got with the boolean attempt, I'm sure this is just a fundamental lack of polygon modeling knowledge on my part so I would appreciate any pointers.

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images
# 2 22-08-2021 , 01:26 AM
19 year Veteran
Whew, it's been a long, long, long, long......long time since I posted anything here on these forums, but I digress.

With all due respect, you need to keep learning how to use the maya tools before you try to tackle a project like that in Maya. However, the easiest way to do it is to sculpt it with an app like mudbox or ZBrush. Otherwise, doing it in maya requires the painstaking and time consuming task of edge looping, splitting poly's and merging/ welding vertices( if necessary ) to model the detail.

The reference pic you included requires an intermediate level of experience with maya at the least to achieve.

Hope this helps out a little.

Last edited by THX1138; 22-08-2021 at 02:44 AM.
# 3 02-09-2021 , 12:51 PM
SM Tea Boy

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"