Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 23-06-2003 , 06:27 PM

Connection Editor / Toon Shader

OK, so I'm trying to do this A/W tutorial on how to make your own toon shader, but it must be leaving out steps as there are things it asks me to do I cannot. Am I wrong? Does anyone know what's I may be doing wrong?

https://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/Com...der/index.html

1.) Step Four: Connect the Ramp node's Out Color to the Color1 of the Condition node.

The Condition node doesn't have a Color1, only: Caching, Node State, Operation, First Term, Second Term, Color If True, Color if False. I set it to Color If True.

2.) Step Six: Connect the Line Thickness and LineR G B of the Surface shader node to the Second Term and Color2 R G B of the Condition node

I cannot seem to connect more tha one attribute to the same nodes. I can connect one attribute, but when I try and connect the next it breaks the connection of the first. I also cannot shift or control select to make multiple connections at once.

3.) Step Six: Connect the Condition node's Out Color to the Surface shader node's Out Color.

The Condition node doesn't have an Out Color node.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

-dann

# 2 23-06-2003 , 08:03 PM
The Maya Mountain
in the connection editor, at the top, for whichever side display Condition is in, choose, Show Readable, and Out Color is displayed.

It is for me, anyway.

# 3 23-06-2003 , 08:25 PM
Thank Mike, but I judt did that and Out color is not displayed. If I try connecting something TO Condition, Out Color shows up, but not if I try to connect Condition to something else!

What about my #2 problem?

Any thoughts? I appreciate your help.

-dann

# 4 23-06-2003 , 09:08 PM
By selecting "show non keyable", all works well.

Thanks again.

-dann

# 5 23-06-2003 , 09:14 PM
The Maya Mountain
2.) Step Six: Connect the Line Thickness and LineR G B of the Surface shader node to the Second Term and Color2 R G B of the Condition node

It sounds to me like they're saying attach Line Thickness to Second Term and Line RGB to Color2 RGB.

# 6 23-06-2003 , 09:18 PM
Yeah, what is was was attach R->R, G->G, and B->B. I was trying to attach RGB->RGB.

# 7 24-01-2007 , 01:03 PM
Although I know there are toon shaders available in maya software renderer now. I was trying to do it based on this same tutorial just for theoretical reasons. However, the condition node seams to effect the UVs somehow.

If I connect a ramp shader directly to a surface shader, the toon shading looks correct (minus the black outlines). But once it goes through the condition node it gets applied wrong (both on the preview sphere and the objects it is attached too). I have the ramp outColor going into condition1.colorIfFalse. colorIfTrue is set to black and a samplerInfo.facingRatio into first term. The black outline shows up correctly.

This is Maya 7.0.

user added image