SimplyMaya Forums

Welcome to the forum, feel free to ask questions here.

Home / forum / Lounges / Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge / Purpose for each modeling type
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

New Thread

Old 27-07-2003, 06:26 AM   #1
Ghost-VE

Default Purpose for each modeling type

Hey folks curious whats the purpose of each modeling style and what do YOU generally use more often and if you use the others in what cases do you?

Poly, Nurbs, Subd
Ghost-VE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2003, 09:19 AM   #2
dragonfx

Use them ALL wisely, and notice the modify>convert menu.(master the converting options and it WILL yield rewards)

Nurbs: armors cars, metallic hard surfaces... (try to avoid patch modeling, SubDs can make your life easyer )

Polys for all things as you can make a general shape then proxysmooth it, or even better subD it refine and then if you want back (also see CPS plugin) (also the proxysmooth is grat for rigging too)

SubD is the best thing to work with, if your graphic card is up the task... It has the best of both worlds but is the slowest to visualize.... and is the best thing to use when modeling realistic faces/bodys

The gratest problem with polys subds is UV editing, nasty stufff, personally i just auto project it to 4 planes then relax them all and then forget abut them as i project all textures and bake them to files, then project more, then bake...
dragonfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2003, 03:33 PM   #3
Ghost-VE

thanks for the advice... I was going through the tutorials so i kinda found uses for each. So far I think SubD will interest me most cause I'm interested in modelings characters. I'm learning other stuff first through. Hand drawing muscle structure ect.

Last edited by Ghost-VE : 27-07-2003 at 03:36 PM.
Ghost-VE is offline   Reply With Quote
New Thread